THE HANGOUT DECISION

SATURDAYS WERE RAPIDLY BECOMING Sophie's least favourite part of the week. Now that she had a refreshing, band geek as her lunch partner, getting through school was easier. Plus, she shared most classes with Steve, so that was fine too. The weekends however, they were reserved for Becky and Greg and their weekly sleepover.

They'd decided to stay at Greg's house for once as his parents were out of town, the neighbours were keeping a close eye on him though. He could manage sneaking his two friends into his house, but not a whole party much to Billy Hargrove and the whole basketball team's disappointment. Unfortunately for them, Gregory Johnson was actually quite a good boy, one that respected his parents for sure.

Throughout sophomore and junior year, Sophie had absolutely adored these sleepovers. She loved lounging around Becky's extremely pink room, painting her nails and gossiping about boys. She loved gorging on junk food with Greg, curling his hair and teasing him over his new crush whilst some cheesy 60s film played in the background. Now though, she just felt fake.

God, if those two knew she was on speaking terms with Eddie 'the freak' Munson she would be absolutely done for.

Ever since Eddie quite literally cornered her in the bathroom she felt more at ease when allowing herself to think about him. She hadn't exactly agreed to become friends again or made the effort to, but she did allow her eyes to drift to him and her lips to curl at the very sight of him.

She hadn't spoken to him since their bathroom chat as Becky had been stuck to her all week. The girls often found themselves drawing closer together when one had a crush and Becky happened to have one. So, every second of Sophie's day (apart from lunch which Sophie now ate with Robin) was spent listening to Becky ramble on about some mystery guy.

Sophie trailed out a box from under her bed, she wanted to be comfortable at Greg's house, but her only good pair of converse had been ruined by Robin's milkshake the day before. They'd been messing around and the younger girl had dropped it everywhere, Sophie wasn't mad at all.

Mostly because she was Robin. The blue-eyed, freckled beauty could do no wrong in her eyes.

Her white hightopps were dead and buried, so she searched for her red ones which she hadn't worn since her first few months of freshman year. They still fit her though, her feet hadn't grown at all. They were battered and the red was slightly washed up, doodles of stars and planets were planted all over the white sections. There were plenty of signatures too but the small EDDIE! was most noticeable to her.

"You off to Johnson's house?" Steve asked from the doorway, smiling at the sight of the shoes. They reminded him of a simpler time when Sophie hadn't befriended those assholes.

"I should be, why?" She spoke quickly, pacing around her room, deciding she would just be cold instead of wearing a jacket.

He rolled his eyes at his sister's obvious lateness, "no reason," he laughed as she fell onto the floor whilst trying to shove the sneakers on her feet. "Need a ride?"

"Honestly, Steve," she paused, out of breath from all of her rushing around, "the later I am, the less I have to deal with the awkwardness, so I think I'll walk. Thanks though."

He narrowed his eyes at her, "what's up with you?"

Sophie paused, head turned to meet his concerned expression. "What do you mean?"

"You've been weird lately," he told her, "I mean you used to be excited for these weekly sleepovers and now they're awkward and you wanna be late? It's not like you, Soph." He examined her face, perching himself against her doorframe. "C'mon, tell your big brother what's going on."