THE STANCY BREAKUP

SOPHIE HARRINGTON WAS THE HAPPIEST she'd been in a long time. Her grin stretched from ear to ear, almost as wild as the Cheshire cat's. Her blue eyes brimmed with joy, her pupils becoming pools of adoration, and it was all thanks to Eddie Munson.

He'd walked her home, both of them laughing and smiling the whole way. He held her hand, caressing the back of it with his thumb as they strolled, unaware of the night's events. He'd kissed her on the porch, his lips acting as his goodbye.

Sophie had watched him walk away, internally screaming. For the first time ever, she could say she had a boyfriend, a real one. She had Eddie Munson, the same Eddie Munson she'd been friends with since she was small. She supposed some part of her always knew it would be him. After all, this Eddie was also the same Eddie that had tended to her wounds after a bad fall from a swing when she was five years-old. He was always there, lingering in her life or even simply in her mind. It only made sense for him to be her boyfriend.

The Harrington girl pushed the door open slowly, not being able to control her glee. She just wanted to gush about everything to Chrissy and Robin, who had also went on a date. She needed to listen to music and dance around to let the energy out, but it was already past her curfew. She was just glad Steve would be at Jason's party and wouldn't be there to catch her.

As she entered her house, she made the decision to enter the living room as the light had been left on. Her parents would flip if electricity was being wasted, her dad would most likely jump to blame it on one of the twins as well.

She walked into the room, her heart nearly beating out of her chest in panic as she saw the outline of her twin brother. He sat with his head in his hands, looking as though he'd fallen asleep in that position. Sophie assumed he'd come home earlier than expected, saw her bed was empty and decided to wait up and scold her like the mother he was.

"Steve," she spoke with an anxious tone, watching as he slowly removed his hands from his eyes. She was about to explain to him that she'd forgotten about curfew, or even tell him that it wasn't his place to wait for her to come home. That was until she saw his eyes. "What happened, Steve?"

His brown eyes were destroyed, they were filled with tears, no room for happiness nor humour. His face was twisted, lips in a permanent frown as he looked anywhere but at his sister. His hair was messy too, not like it usually would be. He was breathing much too fast, hi shoulders shaking violently, quiet sobs spilling from him.

"I..I don't know," he told her honestly, bringing his hand up to his mouth in order to muffle his cries.

Sophie knelt down in front of him, resting her hand in his. She peered into his waterfall-like eyes, they had the same eyes. They may have been fraternal twins that looked nothing alike, with his eyes being a dazzling brown and her's a defining blue, but when they cried, the similarity was there.

"You're scaring me," the younger twin said, her voice thick with concern.

Steve tried to regulate his breathing, squeezing his eyes shut, "Nance...Nancy..." he struggled to get the words out, fumbling over them, "she...she doesn't love me."

"What?" Sophie asked in shock, her eyebrows furrowed. "What're you talking about?"

How could anyone not love him? He was Steve. Sure, sometimes he was a complete asshole, but he always had the best intentions and that's what mattered. His heart was oceans wide, overloaded with love for everyone around him. He was the best person Sophie knew. How could Nancy not love him?

"Bullshit," he spluttered out, his breathing just becoming more rushed. He bit his lip hard, shaking his head, "our whole relationship is bullshit."

"Let me get you a drink, okay? You need to calm down and then you can tell me what happened," she told him, giving his hand one last squeeze before she left to go into the kitchen.