THE DATE PLAN

THE CAFETERIA LUNCH LINE WAS going to kill Sophie Harrington. She felt like she'd been stood in it for hours, her feet sore from standing in the same position. Now that she was Hawkins freshly named 'Sophie the slut', she didn't get special treatment anymore, no one was allowing her to skip.

This would've been fine any other day of the week, but it was Friday, pizza day. The whole school cherished Hawkins high pizza, so the line was longer than it normally was. Sophie wanted that pizza and she was going to get it. Robin and Chrissy were nowhere to be found, meaning she had no one to sit with. Well, there was Steve, but he was all over Nancy.

The worst part of this whole queuing ordeal though, was the fact that Rebecca Lovelis was behind her, giggling and being snarky. She knew Sophie could hear her, which is why she chose to be all loud and annoying. She wanted the girl to feel uncomfortable.

Becky's face still hadn't quite recovered, with random patches of faded black and blue scattered all over her face. Her lip had a scab above it that still refused to heal. She was using her injuries to her advantage though, pretending they were worse than they actually were just for the sympathy that came with it.

"You think she's gonna take that freak to prom?" Angela asked, her arm linked with Becky's as they both side-eyed Eddie. He was at his usual table, laughing at something one of his friends had said, not even aware that someone was talking about him.

Sophie didn't want to give them the satisfaction of an answer, but someone else did.

"Maybe she will," Greg Johnson spoke loudly, attracting the attention of the people in the line. He was a few spaces up in the queue, much closer to getting a slice of pizza than the rest of them. "Hey, at least she'll be taking someone, right? Can't say the same for you, Ang."

Becky stared at him in shock, her face lighting up with fury, "Greg!"

"It's true," he shrugged, "and you're both acting like first graders, you need to grow up."

"She literally punched me, Gregory," the Lovelis girl seethed, sending Sophie a deathly glare. Most people in the school were aware of the fact that it was Sophie who punched Becky and not Angela, it was only the teachers that weren't let in on it.

"Clearly not hard enough," Greg muttered in a serious tone. He reached down past a few people, his hand securing around Sophie's wrist as he pulled her up to his spot in the queue. "Now, leave her alone, Rebecca!"

The Harrington girl was bewildered, a million thoughts flashing through her head. Greg hadn't spoke to her in forever. Well, he'd tried to call but gave up after she didn't answer. Sophie hadn't the faintest clue as to why he'd defended her.

"Why did you do that?" Sophie asked him, her face scrunched in confusion. She toyed with her white headband, which matched her cheer uniform nicely.

"I've been a shit friend," he pouted, "but we were...are friends and I want you to know that I don't care if you're dating Eddie the freak." He was being slightly rude, but the sentiment was there. "I know we're not best friends anymore, I get that, but I hope you can find it in yourself to at least speak to me."

"Of course I can, Johnson," Sophie smiled warmly, just glad to be moving up closer to the pizza.

"Cool," he nodded as he got his food. He gave her a final smile before turning away, walking off to the table that held the tigers. "See you around, Harrington!"

Sophie breathed out a sigh of relief. At least one of her old friendships was repaired, she'd never get to that stage with Becky or Angela, not that she wanted to anyway. She was glad though, glad that she didn't have to throw away four years of teasing Greg about his fear of sharks. That would've really sucked.