THE EDDIE INFATUATION

CHRISSY CUNNINGHAM'S SMILE WAS as bright as a star-filled night sky. She was the type of girl that songs were written about, books, maybe even movies too. There was just something about her that was electrifying and Sophie, nor anyone else around her understood it fully.

The moon reflected lightly in Chrissy's blue eyes, magnifying them. Her lips were cherry-stained and plump. Her hair flowed just over her shoulders, fringe defining the structure of her face. She was what art must've been. All of her imperfections were perfect.

Sophie Harrington felt strange thinking about her in such a way. She found Chrissy pretty in the same way a guy would. She felt sickness coursing in her stomach whenever Chrissy's softened eyes looked into hers.

Eddie though, now she was sure she liked him.

His lips were pink and rosy, completely kissable. He had the most soulful eyes too, a deep brown that could drown you. His hair was wild and carefree, just as he was. It rested at his shoulders, the perfect length for Sophie to run her fingers through.

And his smile.

His smile was brighter than the gates of Heaven.

So, there was Chrissy; her innocent, girl crush. A sweetheart like herself, someone she could hold hands with and share meaningful glances with, but not someone she felt like she could ever really be with. Then there was Eddie; she could fade into him completely. When they were together, she felt at home, like she was with someone that really understood her.

She and Chrissy lay side by side on the younger girl's bed, facing the ceiling amongst the silence. It was late, Wham buzzing quietly in the background. The room was kept alight by a fizzling lamp in the corner of the room.

Chrissy toyed with her fingers, "so, you like Eddie," she reiterated, "but have you ever actually dated anyone before?" She was curious about her friend's dating history, in a way that she probably shouldn't have been.

"Well, I married Jonathan Byers in third grade," Sophie giggled. "Apart from that, I don't know. I mean I've had a few dates, no long term relationships," she frowned, "not like you and Jason anyway."

Chrissy bit her lip, "have you ever even...kissed anyone?"

Sophie nodded, "sure," she continued, "Eddie in sixth grade, Jonathan too, it was spin the bottle." She looked to the ceiling again trying to think of more, "at a party last year I was dared to kiss Greg," she looked back to Chrissy, "then there was Julian Dempsey, but he moved away after sophomore year, he was an alright kisser."

"Have you ever kissed a girl?" Sophie had never been asked that question before and never did she expect to be asked it so nicely. Everyone she knew viewed even the thought as disgusting.

"No," she answered honestly, "but I've thought about it." She had. The first time she'd ever talked to Robin Buckley she'd thought it and now, staring at Chrissy Cunningham she thought it too.

"Same," Chrissy laughed, "does that make us weird?"

"I don't think it does, Chris," she beamed, "I think that's just how we are."

Sophie was shocked at being able to talk about same-sex attraction. It was something that to her and apparently to Chrissy, felt normal, but was still seen as deviant.

"I was talking to Becky earlier," Chrissy told her, changing the topic. She didn't want Sophie to figure out that the girl she'd thought about kissing was her. "She wanted to know if you're still going to your weekly Saturday sleepover."

"I'd rather sleep outside," Sophie snorted, rolling around on her stomach and resting her chin in her propped up hands.

The Cunningham girl sat up, resting against her headboard. "Or with Eddie Munson."