THE DEMOGORGON

THE VANISHING OF WILL BYERS

__________c h a p t e r  o n e

__________
c h a p t e r o n e

Per usual, Bianca Flores was spending the evening at the Wheeler residence, somehow trapped into yet another game of D&D.

She didn't hate the game per se, she just wished the party would switch it up sometimes. There's only so long a girl can deal with Mike's narrator voice before she goes crazy.

"Something is coming. Something hungry for blood," Mike starts. "A shadow grows on the wall behind you, swallowing you in darkness. It is almost here."

"It? What is it?" Will nervously asks.

"What if it's the demogorgon? Jesus, we're so screwed if it's the demogorgon."

"It's not the demogorgon," Lucas assures.

Sitting up, Bianca shakes her head. "Yeah, no way."

Finally breaking the suspense, Mike slams down a piece, shouting, "An army of troglodytes charge into the chamber!"

"Troglodytes?" Dustin asks.

"Told ya," Lucas teases as Bianca turns to him.

"One of these days they're gonna learn to listen to us," she gives him a high five, not noticing Mike's face turn solemn.

"Wait a minute," he looks around. "Do you hear that? That- that sound. Boom... Boom... Boom!"

He slams the table, startling each member as they all lean forward. "That didn't come from the troglodytes, no. That came from something else," he sighs. "The demogorgon!"

They all groan and even Bianca lets out a noise of disapproval. What? She may be tired of it, but once she's in the game, she's in.

"We're in deep shit!" Dustin stresses.

"Will, your action!"

"I don't know!"

"Fireball him!" Lucas suggests.

"I'd have to roll a 13 or higher!" he reminds him.

"Too risky, cast a protection spell!"

"Don't be a pussy. Fireball him!"

"Cast protection!"

"B?" he glances at her, awaiting her vote.

The two arguing boys were clearly throwing him for a loop, searching for the right answer in Bianca. She mediated all their problems outside of the game, why not now?

"The demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering! It stomps toward you. Boom!"

"Fireball him!" Lucas yells.