TRAITOR

________c h a p t e r  t w e l v e

________
c h a p t e r  t w e l v e

The kids continue their search, and Bianca can't help but scold herself for not making them plan it out a little better.

Mike catches the conflicted look on her face, tapping her wrist with his knuckles to gain her attention.

"What's wrong?"

"I just... what happens when we get to the gate? We don't have weapons or a plan or anything. I just don't like going into something unprepared. It's like the time we went to the science fair with no script and totally bombed it," she rambles immediately, and he thinks it over, knowing ultimately she was right.

"Hey, we're gonna be fine. We'll find the gate, and if anything goes wrong, we come back, right? You're the optimistic one, remember?" he gives a grin, and she nods.

"I guess," she turns to El, starting to walk with her instead. "Are you okay?"

She nods unconvincingly as they continue on the tracks.

"Well, after we find Will, we should have a sleepover," she continues, and she turns to her in confusion.

"Sleepover?"

"Yeah, we can watch movies, play games, I can introduce you to my sister, she's like really cool, but she still hangs out with us sometimes. And my mom makes the best snacks, you'll love it."

"Okay," she agrees.

"Oh, and we can hang with the party too! Mike will probably want to teach you D&D, it's the boys' favorite game, but it's really easy to get the hang of, I promise."

She looks over at Dustin and Lucas when Bianca mentions the party, which she picks up on.

"Lucas will warm up to you, really. He's just protective, but he doesn't mean any harm," she assures.

Mike listens in with a small smile on his face, amused by just how excited Bianca sounded to have a friend who didn't make fart jokes every twenty minutes.

He also wonders how she was so welcoming all the time. She could make even the most standoffish person feel comfortable in her presence, hence why El appeared to let her guard down a bit when she came around.

"Hey Mike, can you pass me a water?"

He grabs it out of his bookbag, handing it to her as El places a hand on both of their shoulders, a worried expression in her face.

"What happened, El?"

"Turn back."

"Why?"

"I'm tired."

"I'm sure we're almost there," he attempts to provide some relief, but she doesn't lose the panic in her eyes.

Eventually they get to what appears to be an abandoned junkyard, and Dustin stops them.