UNDER ATTACK

__________c h a p t e r  t h i r t y - o n e

__________
c h a p t e r t h i r t y - o n e

Once the chaos dies down and Will gets back to a resting state, Bianca and Mike stay back to watch for him while the adults go to get answers.

They notice him staring into space with an uncomfortable look, tapping him to make sure he was okay.

"Will?" he turns to them, clearly startled. "Are you okay?"

"I... I saw something."

"In your now memories?"

Nodding, he leans in closer, "The shadow monster. I think I know how to stop him."

The kids alert the doctors, who lead them into a room with pictures of Will's map.

"Sam, this is ludicrous," a clear skeptic comments, and Bianca fights the glare from coming out.

"Just give him a moment, okay?"

"We don't have time-"

"Hey, jackass, why don't you do us all a favor and shut up, okay?" Hopper cuts him off, effectively getting him to shut up.

Will then gets up, pointing to a clustered area of vines. "That's it."

"That's what? What's there, Will?"

"I don't know. I just know he... doesn't want me to see there. I think it's important."

______

Eventually Lucas and Max join Dustin, Steve, and Samantha, as the trio pours the rest of the meat in the center of the junkyard.

"I said medium well!" Lucas calls, waving to them, while Max shyly smiles.

"Who's that?"

"Is that Max? Bianca was telling me about her," Sam turns to Dustin, who looked hurt at the sight of Lucas and her together.

"Yes."

Noticing it as well, Steve claps, getting them into work mode. "We need to board up the bus, everybody get to work."

While searching for sheet metal, Steve taps Sam on the shoulder.

"Didn't you just say get to work?" she raises an eyebrow.

"I know you're mad, and you have every right to be, but at least give me a chance to explain before-"

"Steve, I'm not mad."

"Are you sure? Because you keep making all these comments about how I treat girls, and you're not 100%-"

"Why would I be mad? You're just being you, right? King Steve," she grabs the metal, bringing it over to the bus with an annoyed frown.

Sam never called him that. He liked it that way, since she was the only one who saw him as something other than that stupid player jock persona he was putting on. Suddenly it felt like she didn't really know him anymore.