GOOD GRACES

____________c h a p t e r  t h i r t y - s e v e n

____________
c h a p t e r t h i r t y - s e v e n

The next day comes, with the Flores' awkwardly eating around the dining table before Steve's car saves them all.

"Oh, he's back?" Gianna raises an eyebrow with a smile.

"Yeah, I guess you could say that," Sam shrugs, grabbing her bookbag. "You coming, B?"

"Yeah," she gulps down her orange juice, grabbing her backpack as well.

She searches for her comm unit, speaking into it briefly. "Hey, Mike, I'm riding with Sam today."

"Cool, I'll see you at school," he responds, prompting her to place the comm unit back in her room, running down to Steve's car, finally stopping his incessant honks.

"I said I was coming!" she scoffs.

"You were taking forever," Sam turns to the back.

"Was not!"

"Was too!"

"I will make you both walk if this continues. Play nice," he gives them a stern look, and after a beat of silence, they break into a fit if laughter.

"Okay, Mom," Bianca mocks.

"We're so scared," Samantha laughs.

He just speeds off, rolling his eyes at the girls.

"So, Bianca, you talk to Mike yet?" Sam wiggles her eyebrows.

"No, I've accepted that he's never gonna make a move, you know. Anyway, now that my occupation is full time student, part time interdimensional monster hunter, I think it's for the best. I mean, who has time for love when you're fighting monsters?"

"I want to argue, but it kind of makes sense."

"Thanks Steve," she smiles.

"Trust me, your mind will be changed when he comes running up to you today, talking about the Snow Ball and how he wants to be your date," Sam grins excitedly.

"Whatever."

"About the monsters," Sam lets out a nervous chuckle. "Is this gonna be a recurring thing? Because I really don't have the personality for this type of thing. I shake pom poms every day."

"And you are the best pom pom shaker this town has ever seen," Steve nods his head.

"Damn straight," she snaps. "But seriously. There was demo-slime in my hair."

"I'm hoping this was the last time," Bianca grimaces. "But, you know, be prepared."

"That's code for we're all doomed."

"Yep. Why don't you show Steve the list you made?" Bianca attempts to change topics.

"Oh, yeah! This is a list I'd like to call, "Things Steve Must Do To Get Back In My Good Graces." It's a working title."