PUT UP A GOOD FIGHT

___________c h a p t e r  t h i r t y - f i v e

___________
c h a p t e r  t h i r t y - f i v e

"Got what? We vetoed this idea already," Sam and Steve follow the kids.

"This is where the chief dug his hole. This is our way into the tunnel," Mike points to one of Will's drawings, before walking to what looked like some sort of center.

"Here, right here. This is like a hub. You see how all of the tunnels feed into here? Maybe if we set this on fire..."

"Oh yeah, that's a no," Steve shuts them down, only to be ignored.

"The Mind Flayer would call away his army."

"They'd all come back to stop us."

"And we'd circle back to the exit. By the time they realize we're gone..."

"El would be at the gate."

"Sam has a lighter," Bianca suggests. "If we can get some hairspray-"

"I do not. And even if I did, I wouldn't give it to you because this is a terrible plan."

"Yeah, this is not happening," Steve finally gets their attention.

"But-"

"No buts. I promised I'd keep you shitheads safe, and that's exactly what I plan on doing. We're staying here on the bench, and we're waiting for the starting team to do their job. Does everybody understand that?"

"This isn't a stupid sports game."

"And they can't do their job if there's an army of Demo-dogs in their way!" Bianca argues.

"Bumble..."

"Steve..."

"No more arguing. I said does everyone understand that? I need a yes."

"He needs a yes," Sam smirks from the doorway, thoroughly entertained by Babysitter Steve.

The kids all look around in annoyance, obviously mad that their plan was being thwarted by Steve Harrington of all people.

Just as Bianca prepares a second argument, the group is interrupted by a car revving its engine outside.

Recognizing the car, Max runs to the window to confirm her suspicions. "It's my brother. He can't know I'm here, he'll kill me. He'll kill us."

"Alright, I'll get him to leave," Steve steps up.

"I'm coming with," Samantha walks toward the door.

"No, you're not."

"Says who? I'm not one of those kids, Steve, you can't bench me."

"Says me. And I promised I'd keep everyone safe, that includes you. So stay inside," he walks out, slamming the door behind him.