WHY LIE?

_______c h a p t e r  s e v e n

_______
c h a p t e r  s e v e n

The kids stop their somewhat tense conversation to look at Troy and his friend in annoyance.

"What are you losers doing back here?"

"Probably searching for their missing friend," his friend laughs as if this were funny.

"That's not funny. It's serious. He's in danger."

"I hate to break it to you, Toothless, but he's not in danger. He's dead. That's what my dad says. He said he was probably killed by some other queer."

"Well based on you, I'm gonna assume your dad isn't some kind of genius. So shut the hell up," Bianca steps forward.

Mike grabs her shoulder, shaking his head. "Come on, just ignore them."

As he attempts to walk past, Troy trips him, and the group runs to check on him.

"Watch where you're going Frogface."

They help him up, and Dustin grabs the stone he fell on. "How about this one?"

"Yeah," Mike smiles.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah this is it."

"Oh yeah, yeah this is a monster killer!" Lucas laughs.

____

Samantha was not a person to spread false rumors. Ever. Nor was she one to believe them. But Nicole sounded pretty damn serious when she interrupted her cheer practice to tell her about Jonathan.

More specifically, his pictures.

"Nicole, you can't just interrupt practice like that. The game is in like 45 minutes," Samantha sighs, standing by the gym doors.

"I know. But listen. I was getting my yearbook photos developed. You know, the ones for the sports section?"

"Uh huh. Speed it up. You're boring me."

"Jonathan Byers was in there too. You wanna know what he was getting developed? Pictures of Steve, Tommy, Carol, you, and Nancy. He even got a few shots of Nancy and you changing."

"What? How pervy!"

"I know, it was totally creepy. Seemed like he's really into Nancy."

"Seems like a trend around here," Sam mutters.

"We have to tell the others."

"Let's just not make this a big spectacle, okay? We go in, tell our friends and Nancy, and handle it privately with Jonathan."

"Yeah, yeah, let's go."

"Yeah, fine, let's go," she glances at the gym, calling out to the girls, "Practice amongst yourselves. I have business to handle."