LIKE HOME

_______c h a p t e r  n i n e

_______
c h a p t e r n i n e

"Why are the police interrogating you?" Gianna asks in the hallway, shortly after they let them go.

Samantha looks around in annoyance, slightly embarrassed by the public altercation.

"Nancy can't find her friend and she's like worried. I get it honestly. I'm a little worried and I didn't even know her," she shrugs.

"You were supposed to be home on Tuesday night."

"Mom, I was just at Steve's, it's as safe as being home," she argues.

"Obviously not, if girls are going missing, Will's dead, and you're hurting yourself," she runs a finger over the cut on her forehead. "God, I knew we should've moved to Oregon with your uncle Lenny. Bet there's no drama there."

"Yeah, right. We'd probably be captured by aliens by now," she moves her hand away. "And my head is fine."

"It's bad enough you ride that death trap to school, but in the middle of the night while kids are going missing?" she scolds. "¿Estas loca?"

"I just didn't want to be there anymore, okay? And I made it home safe, why does it matter?" she avoids her eyes, and her mom touches her shoulder.

You know what they say about how well moms know their daughters. Just one conversation showed Gianna that she was clearly going through something.

"¿Estas bien?" Gianna's voice softens, hearing the hurt in her daughter's voice. "Is that why you've been so upset lately? Because Steve is with Nancy?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that? It's not like he's my boyfriend, okay? I couldn't care less," she shouts.

"Do not raise your voice at me," she sternly responds.

"Look, I'm sorry, really. I've just had a bad week and today really isn't making it any better."

"I'll see you at home. I have a meeting. We'll talk," she walks away.

____

Shortly after Bianca's mom leaves the high school, the party arrives at Hawkins Middle, heading straight to the AV room.

"It's locked."

"What?" Lucas makes an attempt to open it, as if Mike didn't just tell him he couldn't.

"Hey, do you think you can open it? With your powers?"

"Kids?" Mr. Clarke comes around the corner, startling them all. "Assembly's about to start."

Immediately putting on the saddest expressions they could muster, they turn to their favorite teacher.

"We know," Mike looks down. "We're just..."