IX: MADMAX

Tristan knocks on Steve's door. He was nervous. Tristan didn't realize that he only had two quarters left. Steve opened the door, hair spray in his hand.

"What?"

"You, um, have any extra qurters?" Tristan asks. Steve does a sigh and an eye roll but goes inside his room. After a minute of hearing Steve empty his savings jar he comes out with a hand of quarters.

"There's eight quarters. You owe me it back!" He yells after Tristan who took the quarters so he wouln't have the opportunity to reconsider. He goes to his room and hears his walkie going off.

"Lucas, Tristan, you copy? I've got four quarters. What are your hauls?"

"Take your puny haul and multiply it by five."

"How?"

"While you were scrounging around like a homeless bum, I mowed Old Man Humphrey's lawn."

"Old Man Humphrey's got that kinda cash? What about you T."

"Ten. I'm broke." Tristan says into the walkie.

"Just call Mike already, Broker." Lucas says to Tristan.

"You do it, Mr. Rich Guy. Over and out." Tristan laughs into the walkie. He puts the quarters in a small coin bag and shoves it in his pocket. He quickly rushes past Steve who sits eating in the kitchen.

"Be back by 11 pm!" Steve yells as Tristan runs out the door. Tristan hops on his bike and heads to the arcade.

When he arrives Mike, Lucas and Dustin are placing their bikes in the bike rack. Tristan gets off his bike and places it on the bike rack when they hear a car horn honk. It's Will's mom. Will waves to them.

"Hey!" Dustin yells as each boy waves back.

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
"To slay the dragon, use the magic sword." The princess says. Dustin stands at the controls, his friends around watching.

"Oh , Jesus! I'm in unchartered territory here, guys." Dustin says. A moment later Lucas is shouting.

"Down! Down! Down!"

"I'm going! I'm going!" Dustin shouts in reply. He quickly moves the character.

"Right! Right!" Then he moves it right. As the character passes the sword in the stone his friends cheer him on.

"I'm going! I'm going! I'm going!" He says, his voice going from happy to annoyed. Each of his friends were saying something different.

"Okay. Shut up. Shut up. Shut up!" Dustin moves the control and pressed the 'sword' button multiple times. Tristan watches as teh flames engulf the character.

"No! No! No! I hate this overpriced bullshit! Son of a bitch! Piece of shit!" Dustin rants while kicking the game.

"You're not nimble enough. But you'll get there one day. But until then, Princess Daphne is still mine." Lucas smiles.

"Whatever. I'm still tops on Centipede and Dig Dug." Dustin says, trying to one-up Lucas.

"You sure about that?" A voice asks from behind them. Tristan, who stands by Will sighs. Its Keith. Or as Tristan calls him, 'Single'.

"Sure about what, Single?" Tristan asks, hand in his jacket pockets. Keith eats a cheese puff in responce. Dustin is suddenly moving.

"You're kidding me. No, no, no." Dustin says, pushing Will out of the way, making him back up into Tristan who quickly re-steadies him. The follow after Dustin who continusly said 'no' over and over again. Tristan stands next to Will as they look at the score board: