Chapter 24 - Ghost of the Past

Song - How soon is now by The Smiths

Lennon

There are so many moments that I've had with Harry, that I wanna store inside a little unbreakable box. The bad memories are simply just that, memories that don't deserve the recognition because I'd rather look at all of the good than the bad.

Either he's starting to realize that some of the shit he does and says is really not okay, or he's finally coming to terms that I'm not going anywhere and that we're friends now.

We're friends now.

"You comin or what? Juda's gonna blow a gasket if he can't find us," Harry spoke up as he stood on the top step of the porch, holding the front door open with the side of his body. The crowd of people who were hovering around the porch have now all gone inside.

I followed Harry inside, feeling small once again. I probably looked so stupid practically attached to his hip but I get an odd sense of comfort when he's close to me. It's like I forget about all the eyes on me and just stay in the present.

As we strolled through the corridor, my eyes scanned the area for Zayn, but he was no longer there.

I wanted to thank him for standing up for me and apologize for running away like I did. That's the thing about Zayn, it's like he's a ghost. You see him one minute and then in a blink of an eye he's gone the next, and I want to know more about him, I wanna get to know him better. I'm making a mental note of picking up his number and calling him.

"Jesus, we've been looking all over this damn house for you two, Suki has been practically hissing at anyone who gets too close to the beer pong table. We reserved it for us," Juda said as he approached us from the living room.

"I um, well-

"Lennon had to find the washroom, so I went with them. Well I didn't actually go in with them I just guarded the door," Harry interrupted me as he crossed his arms over my chest, glancing down at me with a small wink.

I know it wasn't a big deal to admit to Juda that I ran out of this place like a complete loser because I was being made fun of, but it isn't my favourite thing to talk about and Harry sensed it.

Juda looked between the two of us with a suspicious glint in his eyes, before pursing his lips to the side and nudging his chin towards the foldable table in the middle of the living room. Suki was standing right in front of it, squinting her eyes at anyone who tried to set up and play.

"Okay well come on let's play, You and Lennon are on a team, I'm with Suki," He explained as the three of us pushed through dancing bodies. "Losing team has to run down Main Street naked."

"I hope that stab wound is healed up real fuckin nicely, cause if not, and when you lose it's gonna slow you down when you run," Harry said as he gave Juda a rough smack on the back before situating himself on the opposite end of the table.

There is absolutely no way that we could lose, because I am not running with my bare tits and ass out down the busiest street in Echo Park. I'm already a laughing stalk around here for some stupid reason, I prefer to keep my embarrassment to a minimum.

I stood directly beside Harry, taking a deep breath as I watched Suki roll us a ping pong ball across the table. I just happened to believe Harry was going to grab it, but instead he just stood there and the ball fell to the floor.

"This... is... torture already," Harry groaned as he ran both of his palms down the front of his face. "Get your head, in the game Len, focus," Harry grabbed my shoulders firmly giving them a shake, as if I was a small child.