Chapter 25 - First Step, Operation Break In

Song - Heroes by David Bowie

Lennon

TW - mentions of body image and drug addiction

***

Work.

Work has always been such a weird fuckin concept to me.

Unfortunately, having to work has weasled it's way into our tree of life. We come out of the womb with so much uncertainty of the unknown, until we are old enough to go to school. We go to school from the moment we can talk to the moment most of us turn eighteen and then, the majority all flee to college and then a handful of us work a 9 to 5.

I always thought it was depressing.

Being tied down to one thing I like to call the machine, which normal people call the government. Without a job, you rot. With a job, you rot. You rot either way unless, you're head over heels for what you do which is rare.

I mean, how do you not get bored? Sometimes when I walk downtown and see men and women in their expensive business suits, it makes me sad. Sad for them, just like the dreary grey bags under their eyes. I often wonder if that job is truly what they want to do, or if they are only in it for the pay check.

I could care less about a pay check. Money is money and it just all depends how you use it. I have dreams of moving out away from Brian and my mom although God love her, I wanna be on my own. Working at The Pit is fine it gets the job done and Rico is super understanding.

Cleaning the dried scum of sticky beer from off a bar counter is not something I enjoy, I mean I don't wake up every time I have a shift here with a gleaming smile on my face and a skip in my walk. I think the only reason I'm still surviving here is the fact we get live music, free liquor, and the people are cool.

It's the first time I've been back at The Pit in a week, but Rico didn't seem to care that I missed a few shifts. All he told me when he saw me stroll up the wooden stairs to the bar was "shit happens kid, now help me pour some pitchers of beer."

It's been three hours since I've been here, and for it being a November afternoon it was unbearably hot in here today. So hot, that I could feel pools of sweat accumulating right under my tits and against my forehead. It was also pretty busy for being a Monday afternoon, our regular biker gang was sat near the back of the bar, a few punks were sat near the stage waiting for the band to come out, and there was also a bunch of couples out for lunch and a early drink.

"Lennon, can you come help me out with something?" Gemini's soft voice spoke up from behind the bar as she held up a stack of what seemed to be posters in her small hands.

Gemini started working at The Pit not too long after I got hired. She's 19, short and curvy with long brown hair and icy blue eyes that are almost terrifying. Sometimes I don't even look her in the eyes when she speaks because I'm scared I'll turn into stone like how Medusa works or whatever. But she's sweet, very shy but sweet.

"Yeah, yeah of course," I said as I placed the damp rag I had over my shoulder onto the counter top. I followed behind her towards the stairs of the bar, and I stopped right at the top step when my eyes fell onto our carved names in the wood.

I pursed my lips to the side when I realized that the sticker of the dick, was still covering Harry's name. I remember placing it there when I was mad at him one of those nights he had pissed me off. I sighed as I stepped down a step, peeling the sticker off and placing it on the wall to the side. It felt bad to have his name covered, I somewhat felt guilty now that I know what he's been through.