Chapter 14: Dont Get Fooled Again

Dear Jenifer,
This is in response to your earlier letter you sent me.
Yes. I am doing well. Actual combat is not at all like the movies. This new era of warfare is nothing like anyone has ever seen at all before. The wide usage and adoption of tanks, fast and mobile foot soldiers, has practically rendered static defenses and traditional barriers (like woods) obsolete. This is nothing like the trench warfare of the last world war.
Second, no, I haven't heard of Anthony Castillo. Contrary to popular belief, I don't know every single person in the whole army. I'm in the 1st Infantry Division, and I can ask around if he's in my division. However, if he serves in another unit, it's unlikely that I will encounter them. But, then again, I have meet a few people repeatedly out here, the world is a whole lot smaller than it seems.
Third, yes, I do take the occasional trophy. Nothing bad or anything, just weapons, helmets, ammo cans, and whatnot. I may or may not have sent quite an arsenal back home to our house. You can look through if you want, and maybe show it off if you so wish. I'm overseas, I can't stop you even if I wanted to.
And no, I'm not a general. I am a Sergeant. I don't command the army. At most, I command a squad that consists of four to eight soldiers. I wish I could have more command so I wouldn't have to drudge through all the dirty work myself.
I believe that answers all of your questions. I hope you are doing well, and that your relationship with Carlos is good and strong, and that your studies are coming along nicely. Hope Gyzelle is doing okay, and is still the fastest runner in Gonzales. As well as Andrew, hope he's doing okay. Also Sarah, send her an update if you get a minute; I think she's still in Sacramento. And of course, if you need anything, feel free to stop by the house. I know Momma will gladly help where she can, and Daddy knows quite a lot too. But feel free to keep sending letters, I read through every single one.
Godspeed, and God's bless,
Sgt. Marvin Jerez
1st Infantry Division, 18th Infantry Regiment, 1st Battalion, Dog Company, 1st Platoon, 2nd Squad

I didn't spend too much longer at the front. After a few minutes, I flanked wide around camp to avoid encountering Grace or Travers. I was still mad at them, and I just didn't want to talk with them for a while.
The fog rolled in a bit, ending with a bit of a shower. And while I wasnt partial to the cold that much, I was getting tired of being constantly uncomfortable. For the past five years, I have had very little in the way of luxury of actually getting a decent place to sleep. Call me spoiled, but I remember my soft susiony mattress and blankets Momma somehow found a way to warm, when she tucked me in and kissed me goodnight. I wanted that, its been too long.
To that extent, I found a couple sticks and repurposed the button loops that secure parts of my trenchcoat. I hammered it down to form a makeshift tarp that covered my little fighting hole, shielding my from the worst of rain and wind. I somehow managed to curl myself into the feetal position, both for warmth and comfort, settling in to this hopeless situation.
However, despite the shitty weather, I still heard the shuffle of leaves making their way towards me. I peeked under my coat, spotting Tatsuo trying to spot me out. We met eachother, and I saw his face light up.
"Captain!"
"Tatsuo."
He helped me up, kneeling down to also utilize the cover of the coat for cover.
"What do you need Tatsuo?"
He sat down in the mud, trying to meet my eyelevel. "I... I would just like to thank you."
I blinked, not expecting that. "What for?"
He hung his head. "When... when you brought me in. I would have been killed if I returned to Goldman's camp. I... I would just like to thank you for defending me when... Travers, tried to send me away."
I hung my head, looking away.
"And... thank you for trusting me... with a weapon. I know I'm the enemy, but... I dont want to be."
I nodded, unsure if it was tears or raindrops running down my face. I took a deep breath.
"You're... you're alright Tatsuo." I looked up to him. Smiling, nodding.
He nodded as well. "Thank you."
"Here. I think that was your watch right? I'll have Grace swap out. You go warm up in my tent."
Tatsuo recoiled back. "You're serious?"
I smiled, nodding. "Go."
He stood stunned for a moment, then put his hands together and bowed to me, before swiftly rushing off to get out of the rain. I chuckled, watching his khaki uniform fade back into the shrubbery. I turned my attention back to rebuilding my little shelter, settling back into warmth.