Chapter 3

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

RAYAN

"Thanks for helping us unload, Garrett," Mom said while they unloaded boxes. Rayan lowered them onto the carts, tapping in settings while Mom carried boxes herself, hauling much more than either him or Mr. Ranier could do themselves. He checked over all his art supplies, and kept his head lowered when Mr. Ranier set a small box among his other personal tools. "You don't have to stay around though." A teasing smile twisted her face. "I'm sure you're dying to go see your children."

Rayan stared up at Mom's fellow soldier. He glared down at Rayan with sharp hazel judgment before turning to Mom. "It's no problem, Illiya. I'll be heading back home once we're done here," he said, cold and detached, and caught a key Mom tossed to him. "I've already told Maryse that I should be home soon." He tugged out a cigar, holding out a lighter over the edge and hid the cigar from the chill in the air. It lit up with a hush of embers, and he breathed in as he closed it, then nodded at Mom.

Mom grinned. "Alright. Rayan, can you take your boxes inside the manor? We'll sort through them soon."

"Okay." Rayan shoved his hands in his pockets and led the carrier through the barrier gate at the front of the family estate. He adjusted the boxes so none of them fell and broke the fragile brushes within before continuing up the gravel path to the front steps. He stood in front of the security lock as it scanned him, and when he inserted his keypod to finish, the double doors swung open with a welcoming beep. He guided the carrier inside the massive foyer, where stairs split into the upper levels. He shook his head at the negative, empty space. On one side, the living room, where an I-Screen almost had an entire wall to itself. On the other wall, a glittering fireplace with a barren mantelpiece. Across, the dining room, long to fit so many, but it'd be only her and him, attached, the solar, where a smaller table rested with an attached computer. He switched his attention to the double doors between the split staircase, and jumped when the door beeped behind him. Cigar smoke wafted into his nostrils, and he shuffled out of the way of Mr. Ranier and Mom.

Out in the middle of nowhere in a giant house — sounds like a bad start to some sort of thriller book. He stuck his tongue out, but sucked it back in at the cold look Mr. Ranier gave him. "Should I go... unpack my stuff and get out of the way?"

Another carrier came in with the rest of the boxes. "I'd really appreciate it, Rayan, but you don't have to get out of the way of anything. I have something to show you, so go pick a room and get settled." Mom nudged one of his other carriers towards him. "Leave your art supplies here, I'll show you where to put them."

Rayan nodded and took the carrier up the stairs while Mr. Ranier and Mom conversed under their breaths. Behind him, the carrier hummed with the weight it carried as he peeked in some of the extra rooms, avoiding the master's to take the one closest to it, where a balcony curved around the glass entrance. He undocked the carrier, and it floated down with a thump. He dragged all his boxes off the carrier, putting everything away while footsteps sounded outside the room. He spotted Mom take her own carrier into the master's.

Outside, the forest rustled with the breath of the planet. He frowned at the spots of civilization between the trees. Eastpoint.

"And you lived here?" he muttered.

"I did," Mom said. He jumped when she stood at his doorway. "You need any help?"

"I-I'm fine, Mom." He waved his hands. "Sorry, I'm just..." He twisted back to the window again, able to see the distant horizon. "This is weird. I don't know if I like it."