Epilogue

One Quadrum Later

Planet: Kestra, Spaceport

James

"Follow the sound of my voice, will you?"

Annoyance dripped from Meryn's tone as James wandered around, blindfolded. Not that it inhibited him any to tell exactly where Meryn and everything else was.

"I am following."

"No, you're stalling. Get over here already."

James released an exasperated sigh and moved for the source of Meryn's voice. Edevic lines pulsed over him through the darkness. "You haven't shut up about this for the past two weeks. It better be something good."

"Well, get over here and find out."

Another heartbeat entered the fray. Aelius. James stood still as Meryn grabbed his shoulders to make him stop. "Are you ready?"

"For?"

Blindfold dropped from his face, he adjusted to the new environment.

An empty Sanctum spaceport met him, though a few people milled about trying to peddle off ships. Massive boxes reached around the catwalks which led to each ship.

One such ship he found himself face to face with.

A dark-coloured Titan. His heart stopped at the sigil stamped on its side. A wolf snarled on a black field, eyes blazing with protective fury.

Her little dream came to life on the side of a very real Titan.

He moved further down the catwalk to come face to face with the open bay doors of the hangar. Scouts and Lifters could fit comfortably inside the Titan. Meryn stepped up with his brother. "So... what do you think?"

"Who'd you have to kill?" James stared up at the Titan.

Meryn lifted his hand and counted his fingers. "Well... I had to beat up two guys." Two fingers down. "Pull a couple favours from Hunters I know..." Meryn hesitated. "Along with a friend who wanted to see this happen... You know what? It doesn't matter." Meryn laughed while Aelius grinned. As Meryn listed off all the hoops he went through, a familiar, stalwart beat entered his ear.

He turned his head, then froze.

It was a figment of his imagination.

Across the small crowds, Rayan Falae.

His eyes glowed a faint gold, almost striking him through space itself. A leather coat rested around his shoulders. The universe fell into its silence as he tried to pick out features. Rayan tipped his head against the frame of the open door, and the slightest smile crawled up his parted lips, and his eyebrow raised almost questioningly.

"James?" Meryn asked. "What are you staring at?"

James glanced at Meryn, but when he turned back, the golden mirage was gone.

"Nothing." James smiled at Meryn. "Let's go in." He ascended up to the bay doors. Warmth spread through his veins when they reached the hangar. Meryn and Aelius followed him.

"She's an all-rounder," Meryn explained. "She has an FTL drive to match even Sanctum issued Titans. This hangar can fit quite a few Scouts and Lifters... Come on!"

He followed Meryn up the steps to the small catwalk that went over the engine hold. James stopped. "What about hyperchrono accelerator and cooling systems?"

"Well..." Meryn grinned. "Okay, she needs a bit of work. We're going to need a mechanic, obviously, but she has the basics."

They wandered down the empty grey corridors of metal. He turned back to Meryn when he knocked on a door, and Aelius shook his head.

"Aelius' domain," he joked, then opened it.

An Infirmary. Nothing fancy, but he suspected Aelius needed supplies to set up. Marking that down in his head, he smiled when Aelius wandered in with his own grin.

"The healing pods need work, but I can adjust," Aelius said.

"We're not done yet." James jumped when Meryn grabbed his shoulder. "Come on, I haven't even shown you the best part."

Meryn pointed out every room they passed. From the meeting room to the crew's quarters.

"What's the best part?" James asked.

Because all of this is... really great.

James never let the thought go voiced as Meryn bounced with excitement as he reached a pair of massive crossed doors. Meryn took one step forward, and they slid open.

A beautiful domed bridge punched him in the face. Along one edge was a high-end TSC and navigation circles. Automatic defense systems rested on the other. Meryn rushed in and nodded at him to follow.

James moved for the chair at the very front, where two more chairs for the co-pilots rested on the slightly lower level. His hand drifted on the rim of the soft, plush seat.

"Well?" Meryn asked. "What do you think?"

"It's..." James couldn't find words as he lifted his head up to stare out the window. In front of the chief seat, a wheel and a master console, where the ship could be controlled in full.

"I know, it's awesome, someone had excellent tastes." Meryn giggled. "And she's all yours!" James whipped around to face Meryn, who tipped his head with a devious grin. "Go on, take a seat."

James turned on his heel, then rounded the chair. He sat down cautiously, waiting for a trick. It accepted him without shock. He frowned when a pain collected in his heart. "Meryn..."

"Oh, now that you're sitting in the chair, you have to name the Titan." Meryn crossed his arms, as if solidifying his position. "I don't make the rules."

"What?"

"Name it, James."

James pressed his lips together. "You trapped me."

"I did, and I don't feel ashamed, now name it." Meryn smiled down at him. "Although... I already know what you have in mind."

He brushed his hand down the wheel. "The Northern Wolf." It warmed at his touch, and he swore the ship hummed in response.

"Good!" Meryn jumped in front of him. "Do you know what's next?"

James tipped his head. "No?"

Meryn smiled wider, if possible. "You're in the captain's seat, Captain Ranier."

Captain Ranier.

His chest hitched, and he leaned forward a bit to rest his head against the wheel. Tears threatened to clutch his throat again. He could almost hear Ava laughing at him and waving him off through the window.

"James?" Meryn's voice asked. "Hey, it's alright—"

James burst out into a laugh, and Meryn jumped. "Ridiculous..." He lifted his head up, and for the first time, the smile on his face didn't cause him pain. "Let's do this, Vice-Captain Meryn."

To the stars, where the Northern Wolf belonged.