Chapter 53

Planet: Kestra, Odaport Compound

First Insurgency War

MAIA

Black Wolf changed after the fateful meeting with Meryn Matthey. In the early morning when the soft alarm beeped straight into her ears and refused to allow her a few extra winks, she stretched out of her bed and checked the console for any new orders. I know General Falae and Commander Beckett wanted to have a discussion about what Matthey said...

His words dogged at her mind, but nothing haunted her more than his defeat. Betrayal marred the dark greys while Black Wolf stared at him as if he was nothing but an irritating stranger. His old friend — another survivor of the Eastpoint massacre, treated with disdain.

Maia left the room and glanced to the side. Black Wolf clung to the corner of the wall with his back to her. He quivered and clutched his chest with deep breaths.

"James." Maia rushed for his side. "Are you alright?"

He glared at her. "I'm fine, Mouse... heartburn, that's all." He straightened himself out with a rub of his chest, but Maia focused on his heartbeat and allowed her senses to open further, where the uneven pulse fluttered through her eardrums. Each skip strangled her with worry, but it evened out and he released the wall with a scoff. "As I said, I'm fine. Let's go. Commander Beckett wanted to talk to us. Let's not keep him waiting."

He rushed away and never gave her a chance to look him over, and she followed him. As they passed several soldiers, some gave James a wide berth, who ignored them all.

Black Wolf gained a speedy, damn near infamous reputation among the ranks due to the pirate operation. None remained with Black Wolf at the end of the scope. Black Wolf showed them the mercy they showed at Eastpoint, even with pirate bands with no involvement in the massacre.

"Why are you staring at me?" Black Wolf asked. "I said I'm fine."

"Are you sure? How are you feeling?"

Black Wolf hesitated enough for her to meet his stride. "What do you mean?"

"How are you feeling?" she reiterated. "After that meeting with Matthey. You know, happy, sad, neutral? Angry, even?"

Black Wolf blinked. "Nothing."

Maia balked though he continued onward. "What do you mean by that?"

Black Wolf sneered at her with a wolfish grin. "I mean nothing as in nothing. I didn't feel anything." His toothy grimace dropped when they continued to the elevator pod. "Instead of asking me stupid questions we should focus on what they want to discuss."

Maia sucked in a breath through her nose. Keep your cool. He's just trying to get a rise out of you. You can't help him if you lash out.

Black Wolf took charge at the buttons within the elevator, and she touched the necklace she hid behind her dogtags. Meryn Matthey trusted her, the actual stranger, with a piece of an ashen past. And if he did that, that means I can still help Black Wolf. Maia lowered her hand back to her side when Black Wolf eyed her in suspicion and a layer of distrust.

"I just think you should've shown some decency to Meryn Matthey," she scolded. "He used to be your friend. He was there with you, and your attitude might've..." Words died in her throat when he turned his back on her. Frustration tickled her palm, but she tucked it onto her belt to stop herself from lashing out. She took the lead to General Falae's office, who waited for them along with Commander Beckett.

"Good." General Falae tapped her datapad. "You two are here, so we can begin."

Maia stood at attention with Black Wolf. "What do you need of us, Ma'am?"