Chapter 28

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

JAMES

"You were up late again."

James jolted out of his staredown with his reflection in the camera lens. Ava leaned closer to him with a worried frown, but he scooted out of her space. "I was?" he asked and chewed on his sandwich, while on his other side Jon lost himself in focus for the upcoming Starcross games, full of counter tactics and their own game plans.

Ava's finger poked his shoulder. "What have you been staying up late for?"

James swallowed his lunch. One of a lie and another of a truth. "Nothing much. Studying for our finals." He sneered at her. "Which I noticed you haven't been doing, Miss. Perfect." He forced a smile on her face to divert Ava's attention, but her expression never changed. Am I getting worse at fooling you?

"You should tell her the truth, James," Rayan said on his other side, and when James turned, golden steel pierced through his heart while edevic dynamite lit up his eyes.

James scowled. "What?"

"I said I wouldn't tell her because you have to say it," Rayan growled, "But hiding it, pretending it's not there won't make it go away. It won't make it disappear." He clenched his fists and choked the grass. "Tell her the truth so she doesn't get her hopes up."

James winced with everyone's eyes on him, including Jon, an I-Pen stuck between his teeth. Meryn, on the other hand, ignored them to search through his bag. He straightened himself out and glared in return at Rayan. "It isn't a big deal, Rayan, so don't make it one," he muttered, wanting nothing more than to push the subject of pain out of his heart and mind. "I'm not trying to make it disappear, I said I'd tell her when I'm ready."

"It is a big deal!" Rayan leaped to his feet. "Your sister has the right to know of all people!"

Ava joined him. "Ray, hold on. If James isn't ready to tell me, that's fine."

James glared up at Rayan where his shadow loomed over him. "What is the point of lying to her?"

"I'm not lying—"

"Lies of omission are still lies."

James lunged at Rayan to shove him out of the way. "My sister is a big girl," he snapped. "I don't have to tell her everything, Rayan. It was my choice to make, and mine alone. It doesn't affect her, it affects me. I know it's too much for you to accept, but better get used to it, city boy, not everyone is going to listen to you."

Rayan's nostrils flared and he took a step closer, but Ava got between them. "James," she said, softer. "I've asked you before, and I believed you when it said it was nothing important." James frowned when she turned to Rayan, whose expression shifted into distress. "It's fine, just don't fight. It's not worth it."

Jon wrote on his datapad. "So, are you two done being an old married couple?" he questioned. "First, I have you two bickering on the field. Now, you two argue while I'm enjoying my lunch." He beat his fist against his chest before continuing. "James, that shot was straight, how did you miss it?" he mocked in a Rayan-esque tone, though it fit better with their Odaport accent. His face fell into a scowl, and James echoed it at what came next. "Gee, I don't know, Rayan. Just because you make the shot doesn't mean I'll get it right every damn time." James bit on his tongue when Jon shrugged. "What?"

Rayan sank back to the ground with a quiet groan, and James dug his fingers into his palm when Ava rubbed his shoulder.

Jon coughed. "You're doing it wrong, by the way. Ava, it's supposed to be you and Rayan acting like that — not your boyfriend and your brother."