Chapter 26

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

RAYAN

"How is he?"

Rayan waited outside in the second floor foyer while Dr. Matthey and Mom closed the door on the room James occupied. He counted his steps as he replied, "Last I left, sleeping, not sure if he still is." His fingers wound around the back of his head as he sighed and sat against the wall where the flurried storm blasted against the arched window across from him. Ava's silence on the other end dogged him with a sense of failure, though there was nothing he could've done to prevent James' sickness and stubbornness. "Sorry."

"Sorry?" Ava questioned. "Why would you say sorry? At least he's safe somewhere I know and... I don't know, not in the snow somewhere."

"How'd your parents take it?"

Ava hummed. "Well, Mom didn't take it well. James wasn't supposed to head out, but you know how he is," she said with a sigh. "Dad got antsy — I think he might go over at some point today."

Awesome... Rayan cringed where Ava couldn't see. He leaned off the wall. "Yeah, about that... are you sure you're twins?"

Ava broke out into a laugh, where the sound vibrated his heart. "Yes, Ray, though I will say I'm a minute older. Not sure if that changes anything." Her huff on the other end echoed with annoyance. "Thanks for taking care of him and not letting him leave."

He almost did.

Rayan leaped into attention when the door clicked open, and Mom and Dr. Matthey left. Mom gave him a smile and a subtle nod while Dr. Matthey turned to her and held her winter jacket close to herself.

"I'll call you later, Ava," he said, and she made a noise of confirmation as he hung up.

"Tell me if he changes," she said. "It'll take him a couple days to a week to power through this, so make sure he keeps himself hydrated and warm, especially in this weather." She swung the coat up her arms and zipped it up. "It's a harder winter this Quad, so... he probably won't be the only one."

"The one thing I don't miss," Mom joked as she led Dr. Matthey to the door. "Take care, Dr. Matthey."

Dr. Matthey nodded and left into the snowy storm with her head wrapped in a heavy hood, hat, and scarf; he wondered how she breathed in it. Rayan turned to Mom. "Is he awake?"

"No, barely woke up to Dr. Matthey's check-up," Mom replied. "If you want to go see him, you can, but try not to disturb him too much."

"I won't." He raced for the door, but skittered to a stop as Mom descended the steps. "By the way, Ava said... they're dad might come over."

"Garrett?" Mom questioned. "He is coming over later today."

Rayan readied himself for the confrontation as he slipped into the guest bedroom, one of many, but right next to his bedroom. Colours glowed from the I-Screen, but darkness bathed the rest of the room with the lack of dim lights. James' shape sprawled underneath covers as his breathing steadied and slowed. Rayan rounded the bed to examine him, where the ashen pallor plagued his best friend, though some colour returned to his lips. He dodged the empty bucket next to James' side of the bed. The water capsule sat on the bedstand, half-full. He sat down in the plush seat and grabbed the remote to switch through the channels, keeping the volume at its lowest.

James stirred, but twisted his face to the other side with a deep sigh. Rayan pressed his fingers into his brow and continued to watch the program in atmospheric silence. He rested the side of his head against his knuckle while the storm howled outside the blind-covered window. The inner room panel kept at a steady temperature.