Chapter 5

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

AVA

Ava found Rayan Falae by his locker, where James disappeared into the crowd of students clamoring to get their lockers set up before trying to beat the clock for good seats within classrooms. Meryn shadowed her as they snuck up on Rayan.

"Need a hand?" she asked.

Rayan faced her in slow motion. "Oh, hey, Ava." He curled his fingers together. "I think I'm good now, thank you for your help earlier. I think I would've made an embarrassment out of myself if you hadn't."

"Hey," Meryn piped from behind her. "We were all new once. So, if you get lost, come tell me and I'll get lost with you."

"Don't you mean you'll help me find my way?"

"Nope, I meant we'll get lost together. Meryn Matthey, at your service." Meryn bowed, and Ava shook her head at her friend. "So... Odaport, huh? Big city with a capital B." He raised his arms up in the air. "Eastpoint must be very different. I've only seen Odaport in pictures."

"Yes." Rayan's smile tightened. "It is different. It takes some getting used to." He brushed his fingers through his hair and eyed the corridor James disappeared under. "I have to remember this isn't a big city."

Ava followed his direction, then tapped him on the shoulder. "Why don't you hang out with Meryn and I? We'll show you around the school some more and have a bite to eat if you want."

"Is that okay?"

"Why wouldn't it be?" Ava swung out her datapad, then tapped the school map. "So, where should we go first? I know I gave you a quick introduction to Block A's classrooms, but we couldn't go into a better tour."

Meryn made a noise of longing as he held his stomach. "I dream of beautiful trees and food. Lots of it... specifically the food found in the cafeteria, a spot of fries with ketchup and gravy. Oh, and some cheese on top. Melted goodness in a heated box." He wriggled his eyebrows at her while Rayan looked between the two of them.

"I think he wants to go to the cafeteria," Rayan whispered. "Just a funny feeling."

"Finally, someone who speaks my language. I think we'll get along, city boy," Meryn teased, and Ava giggled while Rayan smiled with her. "Cafeteria, then! Best place in this school, if I do say so myself, but we're going to show you the best seats to enjoy your meal." He waved his arm out in a wide arc in front of Rayan before pointing at Ava. "Lead on, Captain Ranier?"

"Captain Ranier?" Rayan questioned with a tip of his head. Ava set up the directional map on her datapad before handing it to Rayan for him to study while she guided the two through the school corridors of Block A. It rounded into an open field, where a larger building formed a dome in the center. Benches hid underneath awnings and promoted outside excursions during lunch sections. Everything was fair game as long as it was on school property.

"It's just an inside joke," Ava explained as the cafeteria dome opened wide for them. Circular tables filled it while the holographic projection simply showed the outside. Artificial sunrays gave the illusion of open fields and sparkling grass. Ava smiled at the students bustling for their meals, slipping their school cards into the tablets to pick their food. It rolled out of a cook bot, quick and simple, but nothing ever beat homecooked meals. Ava smiled at Rayan, who switched his gaze to every angle while a couple of freshies bounced past them to pick a seat.

"Well?" Ava asked.

"It's..." Rayan followed the lunch line. "Quiet, and small."

"Really?" Meryn mused.