Chapter 34

Tick

Tick

AVA

Summer shifted back to a beautiful golden autumn, and Ava walked with Rayan and James through the forest of Eastpoint back home. Their conversation over break weighed heavy on her mind, but her recorded message remained locked until the time she set for it to open.

"I thought you had to make dinner," James pointed out when Rayan came all the way to their front porch. Her brother's mood went up and down in a spiral, but the cooler months appeared to lessen the burden Ava knew he held inside. Whether in a failing attempt to pretend nothing happened, or to try and push himself past it.

Whatever the case... I think me and Rayan both know how we're going to approach this. We just need to give it and James some time.

Janie waved at them through the living room window. In the kitchen, Mom busied herself at the stove with a stew simmering in a large pot. I guess Dad must've finally started on the roof now that it's colder.

Ava let James and Rayan enter first. "We're home, Mom!"

Mom peeked over. "Ah, hello Rayan."

"Hi, Mrs. Ranier." He rubbed the back of his head and shuffled in place. His brow crinkled and he breathed deep in nervousness.

Beef stew swirled in her nose and another flash of guilt pierced her heart. "Is Dad going to be home soon?"

"He should be. He went to the hardware shop." Mom glanced at the antique clock. "Are you going to join us, Rayan? We always have plenty to go around."

"Oh." Rayan clapped his hands together with a quick shake of his head. "I appreciate the invitation, Mrs. Ranier, but I have to go get dinner ready at my house before my mom gets home..."

The front door clicked open behind them, where the evening breeze swiped a chill down her back. "That won't be needed, Mr. Falae," Dad said in his usual gruff tone, though she frowned at the tightness in it. "I had a chat with your mother, she's home waiting for you."

Ava turned to face him, while James scowled with deep pain. Rayan tucked his shoulders closer against his neck. "Oh, well. I-I better go then. I wouldn't want to keep her waiting."

Dad refused to move from the threshold of the half-open door, where the night danced across their yard. Infernal rage laced through James' expression as he clenched his fists. Silence drowned the once loud household. Janie, who came to greet Dad, froze at the arch. Dad folded his arms. "I think the both of you have something to tell me."

Both of us? Does he mean me and Rayan?

Before she opened her mouth for an explanation, she jolted when James jumped in first. "What would the point be in interrogating her if you already know?"

It burned her ears, and Ava whispered, "Don't, James."

James frowned at her, and Ava blocked Dad's path to Rayan, who sank deeper into the shadows. "Rayan and I have been dating since winter break," she said and studied the heavy shadows underneath Dad's eyes. "You were the one who said you couldn't stop us from associating with him."

Tick. Tick.

Dad tugged out a piece of paper from his jacket, along with an infopod, and it became clear which 'we' he referred to.

The tag of her explorer group, the Northern Wolves, punched her in the stomach. Terror filled James' expression and he took a step back from Dad. "Ava, you told me you weren't sure what you wanted to do. Is that a lie?"