Chapter 11

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

RAYAN

Octan came quick and hit harder.

Leaves fell in sheens of golds, oranges and light purples. Rayan smiled at the flutter of summer's flight. I could get used to the cold. He drew the discarded leaf in the blanket of grass in front of him, trying to capture and paint his view of the world onto the single moment. Kestra's trees never lost their leaves, nor were there any trees outside naturodomes to lose leaves. Nothing but crags, rocks, and salt flats, with their own beauty, but he painted them a thousand times, with the last of Eruda rising over the Kestran clouds of fire — but the true splendour of the salt flats was the reflection of the universe.

A light breeze carried the lone leaf onto its next journey, and he sketched the rest of the picture with his memory alone. Any mistake on the page he left to its devices, as Mother once told him, perfection never existed in the first place. He rifled through the pages of other batches of leaves or trees in the glow of fire, to create a collage of autumn.

Other art students packed their own tools with the warehouse for the spook halls done with the collected effort. Rayan waved at his fellow classmates before returning to his sketching. Yvonne and Kylie were the first student coordinators to leave, talking quietly to each other as they walked back to the main building of the school. Everyone filed out, save for Ava, who he waited for.

Rayan packed his sketchbook into his bag when she walked out of the school warehouse. "Thanks for waiting for me, Ray," she said with a smile as she tossed her pony-tail back. "And for all your help. It's all done. Now all we have to worry about is the campout, then I have to go shopping for my brother's birthday..."

"What about your birthday?" Rayan questioned as he followed her back to school.

Ava laughed and waved her hand. "Don't worry about me. My dad being around again is all I can ask for." She slammed her fist into her hand. "Speaking of which, he's going to be out tonight, and our mom has invited you to dinner. She's very eager to meet you. Her and your mom were apparently good friends too."

Rayan hesitated. "Is... Is that okay?"

Ava frowned. "I know you didn't get the best impression of him when he came to pick James and me up, but I promise he's not whoever James painted him to be." Her hands settled on her hips. "Like I said, he's not going to be there, and..." Her lips pursed. "I'd like to spend more time with you, Rayan."

Rayan fiddled with his schoolbag clasps. "If... If that's alright, I accept."

Ava nodded and continued on the path, but he rushed to her. "Wait, I'd still like to get you something for your birthday, Ava... for all that you've helped me with, and being my friend and introducing me to a lot of other people. I don't know if I'd have felt like this if you hadn't." He bowed his head. "I really appreciate it, and I just want to return the favour somehow."

"You really don't have to," she said then she pinched her chin. "I'll think about it, though." Ava flipped open her school wristpad when it beeped a message. "I have to go sort some last minute things out for the spooky halls, I'll see you tonight!" Ava waved her arm as she rushed to another school building, and Rayan smiled at her departure.

Fingers hooked into his pockets, he took in the clouds above his head as the afternoon crawled on. Mom was right, this place isn't as bad I thought it'd be. Here I was complaining it was out in the middle of nowhere. He rubbed the back of his neck with a sigh, trying to match the tempo of the wind. Not as many loud noises here... His thoughts danced in clarity and gave him insight on his brush.