Chapter 48

Planet: Kestra, Elite Training Grounds

First Insurgency War

MAIA

Warmth cocooned her in a soft embrace. Consciousness tickled at the edge of her mind, and she readied herself for the Celestial Aethenium. Eyes open, it was anything but. Gold hushed through the dim bunkpod, but from her slight movement, the lights intensified.

"Ow." Maia waved her hand in front of her face to chase the light. "Dim."

It heeded her command, and she swung her legs over the bed and jolted when it extended out of the alcove unit. Her lucky charm hung off the small desk in the corner. "Huh...?"

Her world spun with her stand, and her door provided support. It slid open to reveal a sterile grey corridor. In front of her, a door emblazoned with the eagle eye of the marksman sect of the Elites.

I'm paired with one already? I guess that's how we do the ranking test...

Bile tickled her throat, and the other door opened the moment she threw up onto once clean tile. On her knees, she waited until she finished vomiting her own acid and what looked like blood. Maia shook her head and peered up at her partner within the Elites.

Black Wolf stood there, dirty-blonde hair dishevelled with his path blocked by her vomit. He scrunched his nose, but it echoed with the taunting grin on his face.

"Celestials fucking—" she managed out when her legs gave in to the weakness and the world went black again.

Beeping overflowed the darkness with serrated white pulses. Back into reality, she sank further into the mattress at a masked Elite looking her over. Every movement sent a twinge of pain through her tendons, but she hauled herself into a sitting position.

"Don't rush yourself, Urtanes," they said. "Here. Take this."

Hand guided to her mouth, she took whatever relief they gave her.

"How do you feel?" the Elite asked while she fought for her bearings.

"Confused." Embarrassed heat washed through her cheeks when her stomach churned. "And hungry, I suppose."

"I wouldn't eat quite yet," the Medic warned. "Let your body catch up with the rest of you."

Her haze cleared into a simple world. Everything returned to perfect focus.

The Medic lowered their hands. "Are you feeling any better?"

"Yeah."

"Drink water. Lunch is being served in the mess hall whenever you're ready." The Medic stood off her bed. "I advise you not overexert yourself. I'll return before lights out to check your vitals and edevic levels."

Maia waited a couple minutes until the Elite disappeared to slap herself on the cheeks. Out of bed for the second time, she sighed when the world never spun on an unseen axis. That has to be a good sign. Outside, someone cleaned the mess she left behind.

Black Wolf's door closed her out.

Fuck. It wasn't a dream. I'm partnered with him. Maia pinched her chin. Karma on my end — at least it's not poetic.

Their pod bunk reminded her of a high-end spotless apartment block. At the front entrance a small conversation pit dug into the floor alcoves with a holographic table for strategizing. On the door, the panel pulsed with the letter A, and down at the other end, she sighed at the separated wash stations. Her stomach complained once more, and she returned to it. I need to eat something, maybe that'll help.