Chapter Twelve

Dominique's Pov

It's been a few hours after Aaron got surgery and its been pretty good; aside from his farting. 

"Aaron!" Nyeemah laughed, fanning his fonky farts away from her. "I can't help it," he cackled. I laughed at the interaction before glancing at the continuous notifications from my phone. 

I opened them to see they were from Lola and Blair.

Lola💋: Wyd?

Blair😘: Shopping wit you

Lola💋: Oh right, bc that was the plan.

I rolled my eyes at how she realistically conveys tone in text messages.

Me: Well, I'm at the hospital.

Blair😘: Why? You okay? You hurt? I'll drive there right now.

Lola💋: Who's ass I gotta beat? 👀 Yk I'll do it

Me: Girls I'm fine, its for a friend. He just had surgery, but I'll shop with y'all sometime.

Lola💋: Idk know bout you B, but I'm tryna see Nique's new friend group.

Blair😘: Right, maybe I'll get me a boo 🙈😉

Me: Y'all will sometime, maybe when he gets better

I looked up from my phone to see Malaysia looking at me. I was confused, but so was she, or at least she looked like she was. 

"You okay?" I questioned with my head tiled a bit. "Can you sing?" My head tilted more at her question, 'Why?" I trailed. "You look like a singer I've seen before."

The sound of the sliding door opening to the hospital room, diverted my attention from Malaysia to the doctor and Zakari.

Her timing was more than great.

"So, Aaron will be here for a few days. Just to make sure he's fine, and everything's right." The doctor smiled brightly. "Everything in his booty area? Or his stomach?" We laughed at Malaysia's "concern".

"Both," the doctor smiled. Zakari went beside Aaron and hugged him. "I'm gonna go home." She left the room after saying her goodbyes. I quickly followed since I didn't want anymore questions from Malaysia.

In the elevator with Zakari, she asked me, "You know, you never told me your job." I looked at her thinking of an answer, "I do hair and nails." She shook her head with a chuckle, "I listen to music all day, that doesn't say anything." 

The elevator dinged, making is both exit. "Well I do hair." I followed her silently to the car. I sat in the passenger's seat, and buckled up before looking at a stagnant Kari. "You okay?" 

"Yeah, just thinking," she started the car after buckling the seat belt. I asked her to drive me to my house. When we arrived, my older brother was standing at the front door.

"You can come." I wasn't going to let her stay alone, I mean her best friend is in the hospital. "N—I'm not taking no for an answer." She parked her car; I grabbed her hand and walked her to where my brother was standing. "Welcome home Dominique, nice to see you." He sarcastically eyed both Zakari and I.

"Shut up Mason," I continued dragging Zakari. "My name is Zakari by the wa-" I shushed her, moving past Destiny and straight to my Mom. "Movie night?" I asked her since I didn't want to think the worst about Aaron and everything else.

"Yeah," she looked up from the stove towards Zakari. "My name is Zakari," she smiled at my Mother before she smiled back. "Hello Zakari, you can call me Ms. Jones." 

"So this is who you were on the phone with?" I turned seeing Destiny and Mason staring at me. My little cousin was even standing there beside them with his little toddler arms on his hips. "And?" I tried to walk to the living room, but was stopped by Zakari's stagnant hand. 

"Don't start interrogating her. She's just a friend." I rolled my eyes, specifically at Mason. "Just a friend," he narrowed his eyes at Kari, "Yes." I tried moving past them, but Destiny pulled her away from me and into the living room. Mason and my little cousin, Bryson, followed. 

"So," they all sat on one couch with Zakari, alone, on another. I sat beside her on the couch and held her hand again. "Stop touching hands," Bryson split both of our hands. "Bryson move," I pushed him which made him fall on his butt. "Watch him start crying," Zakari whispered beside me. 

That little boy did just that, the moment he and I made eye contact.

"Shhh Bryson," Zakari picked him up and started hugging him. I scrunched my face at him which made him smile at me, but continued crying.

"Well, she passed the test." Mason got up and went into the kitchen. "Food is ready!" My Mom peeked from behind a wall. "Zakari you too," my Mom went to the dining room with a smile. 

I looked at Zakari, "I guess you're family now," I grabbed her hand before it was split away again. I mugged Bryson since he was being stingy. He smiled at me with his tongue out which made me walk away from the both of them.

While eating my family just got to know Zakari, and all that other stuff. They were talking and discussing everything and everyone; Aaron, Micaiah, Nyeemah, Malaysia, all profiles.

After finishing we went back into the living room and decided on a movie. I helped my mom and Destiny clean the kitchen and prepare snacks.

"You know," my Mom paused for a bit, "I like Zakari." She continued before nudging my shoulder with a smile. "Me too," Destiny added with a glance. "I'm never bringing her again," I muttered which made them chuckle. 

"I mean she's better than your last 'friend'," Destiny air quoted. "Not to mention she's great with kids," I peered into the living room to see Zakari still holding a now sleep Bryson. "Plus I like her." Mason joined the conversation with his two-sense. 

"And that's rare," my Mom stated before grabbing a bowl of popcorn. "Plus she really cares about her Aaron friend." 

"So do I," I mean that's why I pitched in with the hospital bills. 

"Do you trust her?" Mason asked, looking me dead in the eye. "I mean y'all met her, and she's in our house, so." I trailed not knowing where this conversation was going. "Has Blair and Lola met her?" Destiny asked. I shook my head 'no'. 

"I trust her, okay." I shrugged moving past the two of them with Mason blocking me.

"Do you trust her to tell her that you're a singer?"