Chapter Nineteen

Dominique's Pov

Two years after Zakari left, and nobody's really heard from her. I guess moving to Berkeley left the rest of us behind. Aaron's been in and out of the hospital, since now he was diagnosed with stage four colorectal cancer. 

He's getting chemotherapy for it, and has been getting somewhat better. Although contact with Zakari has died down, she still somehow helps with his medical bills. It's interesting since she doesn't call, but neither do we.

My only reason for not calling is because the calls are awkward and it seems like other things or people are on her mind. As if she has secrets that she can't or won't tell. We did last talk when she got her bachelor's degree and that was only because we all flew to see her graduation.

"Girl you thinkin about Kari still?" Lola asked me; Blair usually went with Aaron during his doctor's appointments, so she wasn't with us. 

"Yeah," I decided against lying since she read me like a book.

"It's your birthday, don't bum yourself out," Lola pulled me into a hug. 

"I'm not bummed out, especially since we're hugging in the middle of the mall." I whispered the last part since we were in Spencer's. 

She laughed at me, but I was being serious. "You've never went to Spencer's and you're twenty-one years old. Live a little," she pulled me into the back of the store.

My eyes widened, but narrowed at the wall of lingerie and 'toys'. "Hell no," I tried to walk away, but was instantly pulled back. 

"Just pick something," Lola suggested. "

Girl no, I don't need any of this," I tried to reason with her. 

"Its been years, and I'm not going to let you stay alone forever," she turned me to face her. "You can't be the old lonely lady that makes cookies for little kids, and sits on her porch all day," she chuckled at the situation. 

I waved her false, future depiction of my life. "I won't end up like that. Plus I'm not lonely," I stated, opening my phone up to a text message from my boyfriend, Kingston. 

"Girl, I'd rather you date Laemoni than that ugly ass man." Lola scrunched her face up at me and my phone.

King: When will you be back home?

"You don't even have emojis by his name," Lola commented, which was true, but didn't matter. 

"So?" I asked, about to text him back.

 "So, he's not that relevant. Not to mention, you still follow and have Zakari's contact." She paused, looking at me while holding some lingerie. "And last time I checked, it has emojis."

Me: I don't know yet, but I'll text you when I do.

King: Okay baby

I scrunched my face at his message before rushing to follow Lola out the store. "Shut up, and I only don't follow King because he makes dumb ass football posts," I tried to justify, knowing all and well that she was right. 

"He's in the NFL, what the hell do you expect—but most of it is from that PlayStation game."

 Lola laughed before looking at me, "He makes Madden post's?"

 I shook my head at her, "Yes, and he chooses him as his character." She started to crack up at me which made me roll my eyes.

After stopping at more places at the mall, Lola drove me to Micaiah's house which was the same house I met Zakari in. When the door opened, I saw a large group of people yell, "Happy birthday!" I smiled at them all and started hugging everyone.

The party lasted until past midnight, and the day ended with some popcorn, a scary Netflix movie that Aaron took forever to put on, and us relaxing. 

Before I almost drifted off to sleep, I got up to get myself some water. I got my cup of water before making my self comfortable on a kitchen stool. I looked around at the living room, seeing the couch pillow that Zakari once threw at me. I smiles at the fact that I chased her around the house because of it.

After drinking my water, I went back to my little place between Nyeemah and Malaysia. The sight rekindled the first time Zakari and I low-key, cuddled. My face changed when I remember Malaysia ruining the moment. 

I laid back in my spot, and was about to fall asleep before I got a notification. I opened it and cheesed at the message.

Kari😍😩: Happy Birthday Dom ❤