Chapter 04: Awekened

Reynolds Leywin's point of view:

I never thought being a dad would be so nice!

Both of my children make me proud, and not just because they are my children, but because they are both extremely intelligent! The only thing I regret is that Arthur said 'Mom' first, and Kiyotaka said 'Who knows?' What made him say that? I simply asked him if he preferred Alice or me, and he replied that. It was strange, but 'dad' was the second word he said, so it's a win.

I couldn't wait for the day when they would both wake up, despite the fact that they are only a little over two years old. They were both born to mage parents, so their chances of awakening were higher, but only one in every hundred children can sense mana. I had no idea what I would do if neither of them awoke. Obviously, I'd never stop loving them, but it had always been my ambition to teach my own son to fight. I would have started sooner if Alice hadn't stopped me every time I tried to teach them.

Even if only one of them awake, that doesn't mean he'll be my favorite. I'll love them both equally. That's what I was saying to Alice just now.

"Alice, honey, imagine the two of them awaken and being augmenters; wouldn't that be fantastic?"

"There you go again, Reynolds; they're only three years old!" She snarled.

I burst out laughing. "Isn't it reasonable to consider the future?"

Alice simply shook her head, continuing to check the garden for weeds; it was a peaceful and reflective environment. I wanted to keep it that way, but nothing ever goes according to plan.

An explosion... the blast sling was so powerful that I had to cover Alice with my mana-enhanced body. I looked up as much as the blizzad carrying wooden parts would allow. Our house... but that wasn't important. were in that house.

"Kiyo! Art!" I shouted.

I reinforced my body with mana and began to run towards our house, but before I could take a few steps, another explosion erupted, this time louder than the last. The ground beneath my feet shook, and dust blew in from the distance. Our house had now been completely destroyed. Despite the fact that I couldn't see anything due to the dust, I ran, a sinking feeling in my chest.

"Art! Kiyo!" As I looked around, I repeated. I was also on high alert. This could be the starting point for an attack. I couldn't let my two children die in this place.

I made my way through the misty layer of brown dust that made breathing difficult. When I began despair, I noticed a faint white and sacred light fading through the tender mist. I moved towards it instinctively, like a moth attracted to light. As I got closer, my vision improved and I could see more clearly; what I saw stunned me.

"Art?" I asked, perplexed, as I watched the little boy levitate as a force repelled everything around him.

However, it was not over. Another white light came from his left, further away from the house. I dashed forward, ready for any attack, but once again I found myself speechless. This time, I fell to my knees, lightly laughing, because my brain couldn't come up with an appropriate response to the situation.

Kiyo was also levitating, this time over a massive crater, while the repelling force was so strong that a normal human who couldn't use magic would be sent flying. His dark brown hair fluttered as he slept, and his sleeping face was serene. It didn't seem possible that someone with such a sweet face could cause such a disaster.

"Honey! Art?! What's going on?" Alice arrived shortly thereafter, watching in terror as Arthur levitated.

I went over to her and comforted her by placing a hand on her shoulder. "It's okay."