Chapter 11: Xyrus

We stepped out into what appeared to be a plaza after experiencing nauseating vertigo. There was a fountain with crystal clear water, and clouds served as a backdrop for the bright blue sky. The sun reflected off the commercial buildings and filtered down to us. The air smelled clean and was fresh. Without a doubt, this location was more sophisticated than I had expected from the medieval world.

'So this is Xyrus... Not bad'

Sure, it lacked the technological comforts of a modern world from what I could see, but this place was cleaner than I expected. After all, horses were the primary mode of transportation during this time period, and horses produced a lot of dirt. Perhaps the state of their streets had something to do with magic. Or was it the horses? I'd have to investigate.

Aside from the medieval world's questionable hygiene, I was surprised that people were not taken aback by our sudden appearance through the teleportation gates. Some of them, mostly young people, looked at our caravan with interest, but the majority of them just kept moving forward, paying little attention. Something like this was normal for them.

After a brief examination of my surroundings, I inquired. "Where are we going now?"

Alice, who sat next to me in our wooden carriage seat, hummed in thought before responding. "We have a friend here. We'll go see him and then decide what to do."

I nodded but moved closer to Alice so she could feel my presence. I was aware of it. She was hiding it well, but the unconsciously made micro-expressions on her face revealed her depressed mood. She was probably considering how Arthur would react to this city or something along those lines. Nothing I could do but cuddle with her and let her feel my warmth.

I kept looking around after Alice wrapped her thin, somewhat cold arms around me. I marveled at the sight as the carriage began to move. Unlike Ashber, this location seemed more refined. Housewives and children were still playing in the streets, but they were dressed better and appeared cleaner. There were also children dressed in dark blue uniforms with gold trim. They all appeared to be noble in some way. Perhaps this was due to the fact that living in a city like Xyrus demanded a higher level of social standing. It is, after all, a floating city.

The carriage kept moving, making a rattling sound. As time passed, the houses seemed to grow larger and the population density decreased. The locals became more refined, as did some of the people's clothing.

After some time, the carriages came to a halt in front of a rather large mansion. The setting sun illuminated the house's entrance, which was just beyond a flight of wide, gray stairs. The lion-shaped knocker adorned a dark brown door with intricate carvings, and the golden plaque next to it with the name 'Helstea' carved on it only confirmed that my parents' acquaintance was wealthy.

Alice hugged me and I turned to face her. When I looked at her, she smiled at me with her teeth bared. I simply lay down on her shoulder, and she rested her head against mine. Her chin brushing against my hair was a little uncomfortable, but I put up with it. I had no idea what was going through her mind, but I knew I was her emotional pillar for the time being and would be for a while until she got over Arthur.

My father stepped out of the carriage and greeted us with his trademark smile. After climbing a flight of stairs, he went with Durden to knock on the door knocker. A maid poked her head in after the sound of the knocker passed through the door. She looked at Reyndols with curiosity in her black eyes and nodded a few times. Reynolds then returned to us with a summary of his talk.

"Vincent is at his auction house right now." Our father informed us. "Tabitha is out shopping with her daughter, so there's a bit of a wait." He smiled at my mother before shifting his gaze to me and answering my unspoken question. "Kiyo, we're going to see an old friend of the twin horns."