Chapter 12: In the kingdom of Elenoir

After some conversations in which I was unable to participate, my parents decided to live together with the Helstea family about four months ago. Reynolds began working as head guard at Helstea's auction house, and Alice, not wanting to sit around, offered to help with the housekeeping. However, because she was pregnant, she was not permitted to do so. She pouted all day, but in the end it was an immovable decision.

Jasmine continued to train me despite the fact that she had started working as an adventurer again and went out to the Beast Glades on occasion. She would sweep the floor with me, but only for the sake of endurance. I was confident I could win if my core was at the same stage as hers.

These were hectic months. I had to take care of a pregnant and sentimental Alice. But overall, everything was fine

My core eagerly absorbed the mana. My mind was wandering with the results of my research while I was refining it and passing it through my body.

The cloud chamber I built with alcohol and dry ice took a long time to find results because not all of the time particles collided, creating a charge that ionized the alcohol and left a visible spectrum. It was more of a chance and time experiment, which I didn't like, but so far the results have been positive.

Small hurried footsteps down the corridor were followed by the creak of the door opening.

"Kiyo!" I opened one eye to see Lilia strutting around me, her hands behind her back. When she noticed that I was looking at her, she came to a halt and tilted her head prettily. "Do you want to play?"

I sighed, she always came when I was making progress on refining my core; I thought I was close to solid red, but if she kept interrupting me, I'd never get there.

"Can we play later? My new instructor is coming today, and I need to practice to impress him."

I hadn't had an instructor until now, partly because we were getting used to Arthur's absence, but also because I couldn't just have anyone as my teacher. It's not every day that a three-year-old awakens their core.

Vincent yelled when he found out I had awakened my core at that age. "We must contact the director of Xyrus Academy!"

However, I was not at comfortable with the idea, at least not right now. The last thing I needed was someone so powerful standing behind me. I had suffered as a result of someone with power discovering my potential. I would not repeat the same error now that I was aware of it. So I did what I could, and in the end, I was able to persuade him to drop the idea.

Lilia, on the other hand, didn't seem to mind and pouted. "Moh! But I want now!"

In an attempt to appease her, I smoothed her brown hair. "Be a good girl." I then grabbed her shoulders and made her sit up. "Why don't you practice like I told you?"

She grumbled as she closed her eyes. "But it's boring, and those little shiny bits won't listen to me."

"Be patient."

We meditated for about 30 minutes. Lilia moved around in her seat, occasionally opening her eyes, but mostly she listened and tried to piece together her core by herself. I still helped her, but not as much as I did at first.

"Kiyo!" my mother shouted from downstairs. "Your instructor is here!" she exclaimed cheerfully.

Things quickly add up.

(***)

Arthur's point of view:

Tess seemed to sense something after a week-long exhausting journey. Her elongated ears twitched slightly, which only made me smile because she was so focused on something. It was a welcome change from the sad, lonely little girl I rescued from slave traders after meeting Grandma Sylvia.