Chapter 10: Teleportation gate

Jasmine's point of view:

I leaned against the trunk of a tree. Because of my black armor, I couldn't feel the bark, but there was something about the damp wood's coldness that I liked. I marveled at the darkened horizon and the moonlight casting needles above me. The view from the treetops was always beautiful, but I didn't enjoy it as much as other times.

I drew a knife from my waistband. It was identical to the one I had given to Arthur and Kiyotaka. A rough black handle hunting knife. Many emotions rushed through me as I traced the silver blade with my finger. Arthur had fallen off the cliff, and I knew there was nothing I could do but in the background, my mind was playing out what-if scenarios. If I had finished my fight faster, I might have been able to assist the Leywin brothers in escaping. I let out a helpless sigh. Nothing could be done at this point, but we all knew that this journey would leave an imprint on our lives.

I was thinking about all of this while watching the camp, as I always do. The panoramic view was useful for spotting potential threats, but it also reminded me of the clearing where Arthur demonstrated his abilities and taught us the feint he devised. As I remembered that scene, a small sad smile formed on my lips.

A small, dark-brown-haired figure slipped out of his tent as I was lost in nostalgia. As he made his way into the woods, the faint light from the campfire barely illuminated his small figure.

'Kiyotaka slipped away again'

He'd been doing it for a few days. I initially assumed he just needed to use the restroom, so I left him alone. However, he went around this time every day. Curiosity got the best of me this time, so I nodded to Adam, who was also on guard duty on the other side of the camp, and handed over the task of keeping watch to him.

When Adam nodded, I used mana to strengthen my legs and leap to another tree branch, never losing sight of Kiyo's small figure. My flight was quiet and agile. My path through the treetops was illuminated by the moon. However, I decided to test Kiyo's perception by being a little more careless in one of my movements, causing the leaves to move slightly.

Kiyotaka shook his head slightly, perhaps listening for the unusual sound, but didn't seem to think much about it. I was expecting him to turn around and notice me, but maybe I was expecting too much. Could Arthur have detected me? Although I knew from personal experience that being compared to others was detestable, I couldn't help but wonder. Which of them would be the more powerful? That question probably couldn't be answered now.

I shook my head and stopped thinking about meaningless things because they wouldn't get me anywhere. I jumped again, and Kiyotaka came to a halt when my feet touched another branch. This area wasn't far from the camp, so it wasn't particularly dangerous. I'd watch him for a while and then leave if he just wanted to use the restroom. However, after a few minutes, Kiyotaka pulled his practice sword from its sheath, which caused me to raise an eyebrow.

Kiyo assumed his normal posture and swung his sword against a nearby tree. He made the same downward motion over and over. I was relieved to see he was only practicing.

I sat on a tree branch again, this time watching Kiyotaka go through his training routine. I admired his dedication.

I leaned forward a little as he started throwing some attacks at the tree. The satisfying sound of the wood scratching the bark. He wasn't bad, but his inexperience was apparent. Despite his small stature, his figure appeared dangerous due to his precise movements. He had a talent for the swordplay. With the right teacher, he would be a great swordsman.

After a while, he seemed to abandon his sword training and pulled out the knife I had given him. I squinted, but he simply turned it in his hand, as if settling into its grip. He attacked in a low stance, using the reverse grip on the knife.