Chapter 05: The beginning of the journey

Silence. Or, more accurately, silence after the sound of the fork clinking on Alice's plate. She raised her head, as if she had just heard something ridiculous. I noticed a cold in the air. Was there an open window? I knew there couldn't be. It was Alice's aura that had dipped below zero degrees.

She stood up, squeaking her chair behind her, after the initial stupor and put both hands on the table angrily. "Reynolds! They are far too young!" She screamed. Then she pointed an accusing finger at him. "Besides, you said you could teach them if they were augmenters!"

"I know, but that was before I discovered my children are one-in-a-million geniuses." Reynolds stood up for himself. He gave us a proud look, but his blue eyes were filled with dissatisfaction with himself. "All I'm doing is holding them back." He finally said it out loud.

"But that's no excuse!" Being reasonable, Alice stated. Her light brown eyes were looking at us with genuine motherly concern. "They're only four; we can't let our babies out that young."

Reynolds smiled at us. "You don't get it." Reynolds' gaze shifted from Arthur and me to beyond, as if recalling a distant memory. "When I watch them meditate, they seem so comfortable doing it, as if it comes naturally to them," he said proudly. "I'm teaching them something they can do in their sleep!"

"but!"

And they kept arguing about the same thing, going in circles about whether to let us develop to our full potential or keep us safe at home.

Arthur and I exchanged glances, as if debating whether or not we should act. Arthur already knew I was a genius; I hadn't demonstrated my abilities, but he knew I had an adult-like learning ability. That's why he now treats me as an equal rather than a stupid child. The other day, when he asked me how I awakened so early, I just said I was imitating him. He believed it, though he was hesitant at first.

Arthur finally spoke up after noticing that my apathetic expression showed no signs of changing in order to end the marital quarrel. "Parents..."

My father sighed and smiled at us, as if he had just realized what was going on. "That's true, Arthur and Kiyo, you're the ones who should make the decision."

I looked at them all before anyone else spoke. "I'll go with Art." I stated clearly.

Arthur looked at me out of the corner of his eye but sighed, his blue eyes darting between me and our parents until he seemed to make up his mind. "Why don't we initially meet the teacher? Then we can make a decision."

Reynolds and Alice exchanged glances, and after nodding, Alice spoke with a small smile on her face. "I suppose we can do that."

We finished dinner quickly and began packing for the trip. The disadvantage of living in the medieval era was the lack of quick transportation. The journey to the city of Xyrus would take three weeks.

"It's a floating city."

How did they do it? Despite my efforts to find information about it in books, they only provided answers about who built it and theories, with no definitive and scientifically based explanation. To be honest, the only way to make something that large float is to use electromagnetism or to create a three-dimensional sound object that emits waves in all directions. Even then, the city could only levitate a few meters, and it would be pointless, so it would be a waste of time.

Both were extremely difficult to achieve if you wanted to make an entire city levitate. It was possible in this world of magic, with spells that could change gravity or manipulate sound waves, but I still hadn't figured out how they did it. Casting a spell, according to the book, requires mana, and maintaining it requires a steady supply. I could only imagine how much mana would be required to levitate a city.