Hunt for Perseus

(This serves as a sequel to my other Call of Duty Story. This one takes place between the last chapters and afterwards. It also takes place in an alternative timeline where the Soviet Union survives into the 21th Century)

Leon Ivanov, KGB

November 13, 1983

Moscow, RSFSR

Having a nice cup of tea in a nice Cafe is always good. It's even better when you are doing it with friends. I looked around, both in awe and curiosity, at my compatriots. Partners, allies, brothers and sisters-in-arms who I have come to regard as true friends.

Most of them anyway. I am still not sure how or if I could call Park a friend, whether now or ever. But I know we are fortunate to have her here.

I can see Park is having a bad time talking about something else then future missions and the Organization around Perseus

I can see Park is having a bad time talking about something else then future missions and the Organization around Perseus. She is very surprised to learn that Perseus is not just a man but a whole Organization. A secret society that wants the world burn.

My comrades try to be nice to her but it doesn't take a genius to see they are suspicious of her. Not one to be quiet I speak about about it. „Comrades I know you mistrust Comrade Park about her loyalty and motivations. I hear you, and I completely understand it. But remember that you did not trusted me or Powers because of our previous association. She will prove herself in the coming missions, I know it." I wait a second to let that sink in. „The work we do is dangerous and we cannot trust anyone. But at least we should be able to trust each other."

Park looks thankfully at me. The others are either begrudging my words or simply nod.

———~~~———

The higher ups at the KGB informed me that Park would stay with me for the moment. They say they have trouble finding her the right apartment but they admitted to me that it would be better to keep an eye on a new deserter like her.

Now living with her, the woman who I both loved and hated, who lied to me and saved my life, has made things a bit awkward. "Shall we go out to dinner?" she suddenly asks while we are laying comfortable on the couch, watching the news.

"You wanna go out with me?" I asked in confusion.

She rolled her eyes and playfully boxed me in the shoulder. "Yes silly. I want to experience the Moscow night life. I can't stay in this apartment forever."

"True that." I sigh. "Alright then. Just put on a good fake accent to avoid any suspicious looks."

She gave me a mysterious smile. „Luckily for you, I am a secret agent." she said with a sexy tone and a Slavic accent. „Come on now."

Not much happened that night. I was confused as to why she would pick me of all people to visit the bars. Then again, I am the only one here that she knows.

We return around one in the morning, both laughing and slightly drunk. „Thanks for going out with me, I needed that." she said while getting out of her high heels.

„Sure... anytime." I said, unsure if I really meant it.

„I really needed that. Who knows what our next mission is going to be like."

After thanking me again for giving her a second chance, she stumbled to the bed and fell asleep instantly. The whole scene was chaotically hilarious.

I put the blankets over her and went to sleep myself on the couch. I couldn't help but wonder if sparks were going to ignite between us once more, like they did last time. I doubt it, but what if? It certainly would not be fair to Portnova either, after I basically courted her. Then again, I liked her because she reminded me so much of Park. And Portnova made it clear that our missions always come first: Defeat Perseus and destroy capitalism.

Yes. In that context, my worries about these woman are nothing. Maybe tomorrow I could see things more clearly. I'm an adult after all and not some teenager. Surely I can manage that.

———~~~———

I am awoken by the ringing of the telephone. Park is, somehow, still asleep. I chuck down a liter of water and spray my face with it before finally picking up. „Yes?"

„Comrade Ivanov, you and your team have a new mission." said the General Secretary himself.

„Thought so. What can we do for our great cause and motherland?

„One if our agents was murdered in Bergen, Norway. Since he was gathering informations about Perseus I am certain he is responsible."

„I see. Any leads?"

A short pause. „Does the name ‚Wraith' mean anything to you? It was included in the last message he sent."

If I wasn't wake before, I was now. „Unfortunately yes. Wraith is one of Perseus top enforcers."

„Then you have to leave right away before the trail runs cold. Debriefing will be on route."

„Yes Comrade."

„The agent also mentioned the the Isdal woman. Heard about her?"

„No, should I?"

„Doesn't matter, you will be be informed in the debriefing. Now gather your team. I am curious to see how agent Park will fit in."

I look over to see her in bed, still sleeping. She looks at peace, like an angel. Almost... romantic.

„I'm sure she will not disappoint, Comrade Secretary. She was one of the best for a reason."