Intermezzo

Park awoke in Agent Ivanovs bed. She sighed loudly, knowing it was just gonna be another day of ‚sick leave' or whatever the higher-ups called this. Wake up, get some food from Ivanov, exercise, then sleep and repeat.

Not that she enjoyed the company, he was so kind and gentle towards her. And if necessary he would also push her. One morning, after he woke her up, she caught her self thinking "He acts like a nanny". It amused her in a way. But she actually liked the thought. At first she hated being taken care of like a little girl but by now she was glad and appreciated it. Park had never seen herself as a social person, long before she even became an agent. "You are really good at the whole nursing thing." she said during breakfast. Large parts of her body were covered in bandages and even a mundane task like eating would have been painful without the painkillers.

"Really? Why thank you. How are you feeling today?"

"Bored like usual." she admitted with a sigh. "When I was wounded in Cuba, I got sent back home to London. Felt like I went insane in my apartment."

"You are not one for a quiet and peaceful life outside of work, aren't you?" He made her some tea.

She shrugged. "Seems like it. Maybe I'd spent time with my family but... you know."

Ivanov took a large sip of his own tea. "Do you miss your home? England, I mean."

She tapped her fork against the plate, thinking about his question. "I did. But not anymore. I have to try and make my home here."

"Well I am not sure about the others but I don't really feel at home here." she sighed. "Integrating into a completely different society is... challenging."

He nodded. "Hmhm. But you never back down from a challenge before, have you? That's not the Park I knew."

She sighed. "Maybe you didn't know me at all. I.. played a role. A stupid role." There was regret in her voice. She also looked to the side or down. Could she really not look him in the eyes? Was she THAT ashamed?

He nodded. "Hm. Maybe." There was an awkward silence between them before he started to chuckle. "I just had to think about our first interaction. Even then my first instinct was to flirt with you."

Park looked up, surprised. "You remember that?"

"Oh dear... how could I?"

Ivanov awoke startled, from a nightmare. At least he was sure it was a nightmare, why else would he wake up sweating and startled? Strange that he could not remember what the dream was about.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and nearly jumped. He probably would have falled out of bed if it wasn't for the strong pain in his chest that made every movement of his torso painful. "Shh Shh easy now my friend. You are safe."

Looking around he noticed that he was in a hospital room. But it wasn't a normal hospital, he could tell. He finally looked to see who the hand belonged to and he layed eyes on the most beautiful woman he had ever seen. At least... as far as he could remember. "You are so beautiful... "

"Agent Bell, how are you feeling?" she asked him while trying to hide the fact that she was surprised by his words.

"Agent... Bell? Sorry, do I know you?" he asked and then looked down at his chest. There were bandages ripped around it. "What... what happend to me?"

"Easy now. You are an MI6 agent, codename Bell. You were shot in the line of duty, two bullets into your chest. One was just a fleshwound, it missed any bones or vital parts. The other got stuck in one of your ribs, it was a nasty wound." she explained calmly and with compassion.