{Ch. 7} Uncomfortable Dilemma

You woke up and did your daily routine to get prepared for in the morning. When you entered the kitchen to get breakfast, Daisy had left you a note saying she had already left with a guy friend or something. You could've remembered his name, but you didn't care enough to.

You grabbed yourself a banana and strawberry toaster strudel on the way out to satisfy your hunger. Early mornings were cool and breezy as usual until the scorching hot afternoons fell upon base.

Today everyone was learning how to assemble and disassemble parts of a M16 rifle and use the gun correctly.

You got the hang of it, but it took awhile. You put on your hearing protection headphones and squinted an eye leaving the other open to focus on the target in front of you from afar. You took a deep breath, steadying your heart beat. Just before you pulled the trigger, a faint muffled noise was heard making you pause.

You took your right headphone from over your ear and looked to the left. You were met by their chest then tilted your head up to the one and only Command Sergeant Major Serif.

"Huh?"

"I said, hold it like that and you'll dislocate your shoulder." You lowered your rifle giving him a puzzled look. He shook his head with a sigh. "Just, let me help before you hurt yourself."

You nodded slowly in agreement. Serif stepped behind you and raised your arm. His cool breath made the hairs on your neck stand, causing a light blush to heat your cheekbones and a shiver to go up your spine.  The female comrades in your class looked on with jealousy, a scowl on their faces.

"Now, back straight, chest out, dominant leg back. Look ahead and focus on the target."

The way everyone stared at you made you uncomfortable.

"U-um... S-sergeant? I don't think I—"

"Focus, Smith."

"But—"

"That's an order."

"Yes, sir."

"Loosen your grip by just a smidge and take a deep breath." He said. You did as he instructed and took a deep breath, your vision focused on the target. "Ready?" You nodded slowly. "Good. Now, pull the trigger."

You squeezed the piston grip a bit tighter to stop your shaky hands and pulled the trigger, the loud sound erupting through the air. You nearly jumped out of your skin, but luckily you had Serif behind you to keep you grounded from falling backwards. The bullet pierced the target right in the center of the bullseye.

You stared at the target, a small frown etched across your lips in quick realization.

If the bullseye had of been a human or monster, they would have most definitely been a goner. And to think you would have to use all this training on a battlefield to kill someone... People who have possible families that are awaiting their safe arrival for when they return... People who are just like... You.