C H A P T E R - E I G H T

~ This chapter of Back to Chaos is based on the Chicago Fire episodes A Problem House and Prove (Season 2 Episodes 1 and 2). The rights to Chicago Fire belong to Dick Wolf and NBC and the events that occur in the reference episode are used strictly for entertainment purposes ~

The last week at Firehouse 51 was shitty.

That was the simplest way to put it.

Leslie Shay's insemination didn't take and, naturally, she was heartbroken about it.

Peter Mills did not pass the Squad test.

And Mills and Dawson were having relationship problems involving whether the woman had feelings for Matthew Casey.

The only good part about it was the fact that Casey was back from his month off after Hallie Thomas.

And this shift marked seven months since Alyssa Torres had left Chicago.

It had been almost six months since anyone was last contacted by the woman.

And this shift, unfortunately, would only make Kelly wish she was back even more.

The first call came through the alerting system a little more than an hour into the start of the shift.

When they pulled up to the two-and-a-half-story house, Boden ordered a primary search and a line into the house. He pointed to a cart in front of the stoop and announced that someone was inside.

Casey said that Truck would vent the roof and basement while Squad did the main floor.

Just before the firefighters could reach the curb in front of the house, Boden stopped them with, "Woah, woah, woah, do you smell that?"

As soon as the words left his mouth, the basement of the house exploded, causing the glass to shatter, and everyone to duck.

"Cruz, Herrmann, Otis, up the aerial to vent!" Casey orders as the explosion dies down. "Candidate, we're in the basement!"

"Hey, 51, follow with the line," Severide orders. "Capp, with me."

Truck and Engine worked to connect the hose to the hydrant as the two Firehouse 51 lieutenants slide on their gas masks.

"That smell is still here," Severide comments.

"Yeah," Casey agrees. "Diesel?"

"Yeah."

The firefighters part ways as some around back and others enter through the main doors.

Herrmann and Severide end up paired together inside. The lieutenant orders the man to keep looking while he checks the basement. Kelly should've known something was wrong when the stairs creaked more than normal as he headed down. And just when he realized what the noise meant and tried to throw himself back towards the doorway, the stairs gave out underneath him as another explosion rang out.

The man glanced up at the remaining part of the stairs and realized that it was at least three feet higher than he could reach.

"Mayday, mayday!" he calls over his radio. "I'm trapped in the basement. The stairs are gone!"

Mouch and Boden instantly head in as Engine charges up the hose.

"Severide!" Boden calls as they lower the hose in a 'U' shape so the man could be pulled up.

As they helped Severide out of the house, Shay hurried over, getting the man onto the grass to rest and get some water.

"There was no one in there, Chief," Mills reports to Boden who angrily kicks the cart in front of the house.

Severide turned to watch the man but something on the side of the building caught his eye.