C H A P T E R - T W E L V E

A week after her return to Chicago, Alyssa Torres could be found folding clothes and stuffing them into boxes or bags. Her closet was almost empty except for a few more articles of clothing hanging. She spared a glance around her at the room, noticing how most of her belongings were packed into cardboard boxes and white garbage bags that were placed on the floor around the room.

As she stood up, the last of her clothes in the box, her knees popping, arms wound around her waist, Kelly Severide's chin resting on her shoulder as he placed a gentle kiss on her neck.

"Almost done?" the man mumbles and Alyssa nods, reaching forward to close her closet door to symbolize that it had been emptied. After they got back into the motions of being a couple, the two had agreed that they should move into that new apartment that Alyssa had bought for them.

"Just have a few things from the bathroom and the living room and then our stuff is out. What did Shay say when you told her?"

"She was happy, says that she was glad that we were back to being a couple so quickly."

Alyssa simply gave him a small smile, leaning back into his hold, her eyes falling shut. She had missed this. For many long months, she had been deprived of this feeling of safety, security, and the man's love.

"You don't think we're going back into this so quickly, do you?" Alyssa murmurs. She didn't really know why she had asked the question, she knew that they weren't. They had done this entire thing before, they had done the getting to know each other, they had done everything together before that would make it easy for them to get back into a relationship. Alyssa knew that their friends and their coworkers wouldn't find it odd that they were already back together - the two had never fallen out of love and so being together was as if nothing had happened.

"Of course, I don't," Kelly answers, his next sentence, however, was hesitant, "do - do you?"

"No, no," it took her a moment to answer but it confidently. "I just ... I don't want to fuck this up again, Kelly."

"We won't," the man responds. "We now know how hard it was to be without each other, Lys, you really think we'll forget that?"

No. She knew she wouldn't. But she was hesitant for no reason even though she had been confident about her plan when she arrived back in Chicago.

"I love you," she mutters, leaning her head back and pressing her lips to his cheek.

"I love you too," Kelly smiles, his thumb gently rubbing circles on her hip.

The two stood there for a moment, enjoying the feeling of being back in each other's arms until Alyssa pushed herself away from Kelly, grabbed the box that she had just filled, and carried it down to the living room, stacking it on another box from their bedroom.

Their new apartment was larger than this one - granted Shay still lived with them so the new apartment would give them an extra room. It was a five-bedroom, three-and-a-half bath with the master on its own floor. It was a three-floor apartment - much like the one they currently lived in but with another floor - with the other four bedrooms divided equally on the bottom two floors.

The couple had gone and toured the apartment the day before and, needless to say, Kelly loved it. It would allow them to start a family if they pleased before they'd need to move to a bigger house but the kitchen and living room also allowed for basically everyone from their two firehouses to come over.

Matt Casey had come over and taken a load of their belongings over, they were now loading boxes into the back of both of their cars to drive over. Shay helped the two of them carry their boxes down to their cars before the three headed back up to the apartment.

Alyssa did one more sweep of her and Kelly's bedroom, making sure that there was nothing they had left even though it wasn't a big deal - Shay could always give it to Kelly at work and it wasn't like the lieutenant wouldn't stop over and visit his best friend once in a while.