C H A P T E R - N I N E

~ This chapter of Back to Chaos is based on the Chicago Fire episode A Nuisance Call (Season 2 Episode 4). The rights to Chicago Fire belong to Dick Wolf and NBC. The events that occur in the reference episodes are used in this story for entertainment purposes. ~

July 5.

A few of the firefighters were set on the new Squad transfer Jeff Clarke being the snitch around the firehouse. Kelly had told Boden that he knew the arsonist was Hadley which has now led to AI checking the man's alibis - something that Kelly wasn't very happy about.

The Squad lieutenant knew that Hadley was using timing devices so his alibi wouldn't really matter - something that he told Benny who was staying at their apartment.

Benny commented on how Boden screwed up by not realizing that Hadley was the arsonist but his son came to the defense of the fire chief by saying that no one would've thought that Hadley would ever do this.

As soon as the shift started, the firefighters were ushered into a conference room to talk about the new wellness program that McLeod had installed. After teasingly saying that Mills should do it, Mills and Shay were appointed the heads of this.

The first call for the paramedics was a rough one - even though Shay tried to act like she was okay, Kelly knew that something was wrong with her. One of the frequent fliers that the paramedics tended to killed himself in front of them.

With Mouch running for Union President, Hadley showed up, saying that Mouch didn't represent him right as a Union Representative and that was why he shouldn't be elected Union President. He took a shot at both Mills and Severide even though the latter wasn't there - the Squad lieutenant was actually outside of the building in his car. Hadley publically announced every fault that Mouch made when he didn't properly represent him. 

Severide called Benny on the way back to the firehouse, asking his father to meet him at 51 so they could talk about how Hadley had showed up at the Union Meeting.

When Mouch and the Truck firefighters returned from the Union Meeting, they were back in the conference room to talk about the whole wellness program and what it included.

After shift, Capp and Severide sat outside Hadley's house until he got home, waiting to get into his car to plant a tracker in it. When the man entered his house, the two hurried out of their car, picked the lock on the driver's side door, and then planted the tracker.

During the next shift, Kelly kept an eye on the iPad that the tracker was hooked up to. He had been sitting at the Squad table looking at it when it dinged, showing that Hadley had arrived at a new destination.

"33rd and Bell. It's on the dangerous buildings list," the man says after checking the map. He gathered the Squad firefighters up and they headed over.

When they got there, there was already smoke coming out of the building and Kelly grabbed his radio, calling it into Main for Truck, Engine, and Ambulance to help with the fire.

When Boden arrived, Kelly instantly informed him that it was Hadley but it was a known fact that squatters lived there so he ordered a search but warned caution since the building wasn't structurally sound.

There were many flames on the bottom four floors but Herrmann said that he smelt diesel again which meant that the fire would be building soon.

Cruz found the device just before it exploded and ordered everyone down just as fires erupted. The fire was spreading fast and the main point of exit was now blocked off. Boden, with a map, ordered the group to a different staircase but this one was locked - temporarily delaying them until Cruz took it down with his halligan.

As the firefighters exited, Severide caught sight of someone running - someone that looked like Hadley. He ordered the Truck firefighters to get out and keep searching for squatters as he goes after Hadley.

"Hadley!" He calls, entering a room, only to have his gas mask broken by a crowbar by Hadley.

Knowing that wearing it wouldn't do much good, the man removed it, putting his helmet back on.

As he continued into the room, he saw Hadley standing in the middle of a powdered accelerate with the liquid to set it off in his hands. He knew that if those two mixed, it would take out the entire block.

"You can still walk out alive," Kelly says.

"Or we can all go down together."

Hadley made to spill the liquid but Kelly pushed him out off of the powder - maybe too harshly as some of the liquid spilled, catching the powder and Hadley on fire.

Casey joined them, helping put the fire out and the two of them hauled the firefighter out between them.

There was silence as the firefighters watched Shay and Dawson pull away with Hadley in the back of the ambulance.

The entire ride back to the firehouse, Kelly tried to figure out how to tell Alyssa. He had made it so obvious in his voicemails that it was Hadley and now all he was doing was calling to confirm it. He decided against a voicemail for right now, promising himself that he'd do it sometime after shift.

But as the firefighters got back to the firehouse, Mills called out Spellman.

"You're the snitch," the candidate says, bringing everyone's attention to the pair.

"What did you say?" Spellman asks.

"You heard me."

"Watch your mouth, candidate!"

"You've been giving McLeod all the information. You're the rat."

Spellman stepped closer to Mills before realizing that everyone was watching. He cast them a glance before walking away, entering the firehouse.

That gave him another reason to call Alyssa. The men returned to his office where he pulled out his phone and began to leave a voice message to Alyssa about Hadley, about Spellman, about Clarke, about him and Benny finally being around each other and not being hostile towards each other.

Once again, he finished the voicemail with how much he missed and loved the woman and how all of this made him realize how much he needs her to get through this.