Second first impression

Three sharp knocks.

Everyone in the house knocked differently. That's how I was able to yell at Steven to leave or tell Conrad to come in. But this one was unfamiliar. That's why I knew exactly who it was.

"Come in."

The door slowly opened and Jace stepped inside. Her scuffed vans were the only noise in the room as she made her way to me. She stood a few feet away from me, a nervous look to her body language.

"It's nice to see you again Belly."

She tucked a piece of her curly hair behind her right ear and I could see atleast seven different piercings in her skin. I studied her face for a moment. She'd gotten skinner. Taller too. But then again so had I. I mostly felt really horrible for not recognizing her at first. I was surprised that I even forgot her in the first place.

"It's nice to see you again too."

Silence took over once again. What were we supposed to say?

"When'd you come out?"

Jaces eyebrows raised at my question and I scooted over on my bed for her to sit next to me. She sat in the spot, the smell of mint and sweetness filling my nose. God she smelled amazing.

"Two months ago. That's kinda why I'm here. My parents aren't the most progressive; well aleast my dad isn't but my mom said she'd try and talk to him over the summer."

Wow. That's...horrible.

"I know you're probably thinking about how bad that it seems but it's always been like this. When I finally came out is when all hell broke loose."

Jaces face stayed neutral but I could see her picking at her nails. I couldn't even imagine something like that. Being gay and having homophobic parents? I'm lucky I'll never have to go through something as traumatic as that.

"That's absolutely horrible. I'm so-"

"Don't say you're sorry."

My mouth snaps shut. She's right. It seems insensitive.

"Let's stop talking about my bigot parents. I wanna know about you."

Jace smiles and taps my thigh. I feel goosebumps as her finger slides along my skin momentarily before her hand rests back in her own lap. Weird.

"What'd you mean?"

Jace looks at the door and leans in a little, the sweet scent getting stronger. She really did smell amazing.

"You and Conrad? Is that still a thing?"

I smile. Of course that was the first question she'd ask.

"I mean, with everything that's happened with his mom this past year he's been a bit distant but I still have feelings for him."

Jace nods and ticks her hair behind her other ear. This ear was pretty plain compared to her left one. All that I could see was a simple diamond earring in her ear. Why did I care so much about her ear?

"Conrads always been a little distant but he cares for you Belly."

Her hand goes out and lands on my knee. My mind freezes and all I can think about is her warm skin on mine.

"More then you know."

She squeezes my knee and takes it off my knee. My skin feels cold without her hand. What the hell was happening?

"What about you? Any girls?"

Jace shakes her head and I feel a sort of...relief?

"I've kissed a lot of them but no girl wants to date a closet case so."

Jace shrugs and I feel a pang in my heart. I couldn't imagine not being able to love freely. With Conrad, everyone accepted it. They'd told us from day one that we were each other's future husband and wife. I didn't understand why that was so different from two girls or two guys. How does the phrase go? Love is love? Yea, love is love.

"Jere asked me to ask you if you wanted to go to the beach later?"

I thought about it. They hadn't belly flopped me yet so maybe this was their ploy. Screw it, tradition matters.

"Sure. But tell him to come ask me next time and not just hide out with my brother all the time."

Jace smiled and stood back up, the sweet smell leaving my nose. She opened up the door but didn't leave. She stayed still for a moment before turning back around.

"It really is nice to see you again Belly. I'm glad we get to spend the summer together."

I felt warm and fuzzy with every word she said. She was nicer then I remembered.

"Yea I'm glad too."

Jace smiled one last time before stepping into the hallway, closing the door behind her.