Team up

"Conrad can take you."

Absolutely not. No way. Never happening.

"Yea I'll take Belly."

Conrad's face is smug and I fight the urge to slap him. Ok course he wanted to come with me to the party. The one time I wanna do something alone and he has to try and babysit me.

"Mom I'm turning sixteen. I can go to a party by myself."

"Party?"

Jace is standing behind Conrad, a bowl of cereal in her hand and a smile on her face.

"Conrad is taking Belly to her new friends party."

Dani had been one of the debs at the country club last summer. Susannah had tried to get me to become a debutant but I had refused after Conrad said that debs were self centered and obnoxious. Sometimes I find myself wishing I hadn't declined the offer. But it was probably for the better. I'm hoping that this year she won't try and pull the same thing. Jace turns away from my mom and looks directly at me.

"Can I come?"

She was asking me. Not just shoving her way into an invite but genuinely asking. That was something I always admired about her. She never just assumed or tried to control me like the boys did. She didn't think that she had my best interests in mind. She wanted my opinion and never disrespected it.

"Yea. Of course you can come."

I smiled at her and tucked my hair behind my ear.

"The party's tonight?"

She set her bowl down on the counter and took another bite of her cereal. Her head rested on her hand and her morning hair fell gracefully over her back. Her eyebrows raised at me. Wait, she'd asked me a question, right?

"Tonight. At the beach."

The sun had begun to peak out from behind the blinds and her brown eyes became illuminated. Her gaze stayed on me, challenging me to look away.

"GOOD MORNING BRETHREN!"

I jumped at the scream. Steven ran down the stairs, dragging Jeremiah with him. Jere barley found his footing as Steven held his hand, making him walk with him.

"Guess who is teaming up for the country clubs tennis tournament at the end of summer?"

Steven holds up their clasped hands and Jere looks red. Interesting.

"By the hand holding and inconsolable screaming I'm gonna assume....Belly and Conrad?"

Steven rolled his eyes and Jace giggled. It sounded adorable.

"Uh no. Me and Jeremiah are gonna demolish all of those pansy locals and bring the heat. Right Jere?"

"Right on Steve."

Steven wrapped his arm around Jeremiah and I definitely see his ears turn red.

"That's great boys! I actually think a Belly and Conrad team up doesn't sound too bad either."

Susannah winks at me and I smile. I peek at Conrad and his face is stone cold. What was wrong with him?

"Nah I'm good. I'd rather not."

Conrad laid his dish into the dishwasher and shut it, leaving the kitchen. Of course he said no. Lately, all he was saying was no.

"Well, maybe Belly and I can team up instead?"

"Yes!"

Everyone's eyes turned to me. I bit my lip and shrugged. It had been a while since I'd seen her. I just wanted to spend time with her, that's all.

"I- I mean yea. That would be cool."

Jeremiah's eye squint and I avert my gaze.

"We're actually going to start practicing now. Meet you guys in the car in like...ten?"

Jace nods for us and the boys head out the door. I stand from my seat at the kitchen table and straighten out my green top and dark jean shorts. Jace pours her milk into the sink and places the bowl into the dishwasher.

"Let me just put on my shoes and wet my hair."

I watched as she made her way up the staircase. I pulled out my phone and checked my hair and face. Something was missing. Taylor always said that lipgloss was key to getting boys. I'll just use it to look nice. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a sheer pink lipgloss that I'd gotten at Ulta. I applied it and checked my face again. I could definitely add mascar-

"Ready?"

I turn and see Jace motioning to the door. Her hair was still as frizzy as always but the coils has gotten more defined with the water. She was wearing a light brown flannel with matching converses.

"Belly!"

My head snaps back into reality. Shit. Being weird again.

"You ok Bee?"

I nod and rush past her. I don't trust my mouth at the moment. I hear the door closing behind me as I race down the stairs. I see Jere looking out the window with a smile on his face. Steven is on the drivers side, his teeth lightly biting his lip as he looked out the opposite window.

"Hop in!"

Jeremiah unlocks the doors and I open the backseat, turning to Jace. She holds the door open for me and juts her chin towards the seats.

"Ladies first."

I feel a warm sensation in my chest and I take a breath. I forgot how flirty Jace could be. I climb into the backseat and Jace does the same, closing the door behind her. Her knee touches mine and my skin tingles again. I think I might be sick. I move away from her and I see her eyes linger on me. Wouldn't want her to get the wrong idea.

"Ready for take off!"

Steven winked at me in the rear view mirror and I rolled my eyes. This was gonna be a long day.