Summer 9

"You still like him?"

I giggled and Jocelyn rolled her eyes. We were at the beach with the moms and the boys. The moms were sitting in their beach chairs and the boys had just gotten out of the water. Me and Jocelyn were on paddle boards that I'd found while at Five Below with my mom.

"Yea. But he doesn't like me like that."

I see Jocelyn looks sad before shaking her head.

"I'm calling it now. You guys are gonna get married and have three kids."

I splash the water at her and she screams. She splashes me back and I try to push her off her board. She does the same to me, a huge smile on her face. I barley blink before I feel water fill my nose and I immediately hold my breath. I open my eyes under the water and the bubbles around me dissolve. I see her looking back at me, that devilish grin on her face. Her hand is on my arm and mine in hers. She pulled me down with her. My lungs feels empty. It hurts. So I let go. I shut my eyes and stand, feeling the water slip off of me. The sun is warm against my wet face and I hear more splashing behind me.

"I totally got you."

I open my eyes again and turn back to her. She pushes her hair out of her face and gives me a big smile.

"Hey Belly! Wanna play volleyball with us?"

Conrad's voice makes my ears perk up. He wanted to play volleyball with me?

"Ok! I'm coming!"

I grabbed my board again and practically ran out of the water. Conrad was waiting for me by the end of the water, ball in hand.

"Be on my team?"

He smiles at me and I giggle.

"Sure."

I throw my paddle board next to the beach blanket and walk over to the net with Conrad. Steve and Jeremiah are already on the other side of the net, whispering to each other. I see Jocelyn get out of the water and watch as she drops onto the blanket. She glances over to us, an annoyed look in her eyes. I feel a song if guilt. It should probably invite her to play with us. But the number is uneven and I wanted to play with Conrad myself. Besides, she didn't seem like she wanted to play with us.

"We're gonna crush you! Up high Jere!"

Steven and Jeremiah high-five and me and Conrad look at eachother. A connection forms and we understand what we have to do. Conrad swerves and my mind goes into airplane mode. The next ten minutes are a blur of sand and arms flying. But I come back too when Jeremiah suddenly calls time.

"I gotta pee."

Me and Conrad look at eachother again, smiling. We were so close to winning. Of course, right he before Conrad serves, Jeremiah has to pee. Steven groans and looks around.

"Hey! Jocelyn!"

I look back at her. Her head snaps up and our eyes meet. I feel a surge of jealousy and look away.

"Come sub for Jere!"

Steven waved her over and I sigh. I didn't really know I why I was so upset. Conrad gave me a questioning look and I just avoided his gaze. I could hear the sand moving behind me and I watched as she passed to the other side of the next. Her hair was still wet on the end and sand stuck to her feet. I hated the way I noticed everything.

"Conrad. Serve."

Steven nodded to him and Conrad glanced at me again. I smiled at nodded at him. He served. Once again, I got lost in flying arms and jumping bodies. That was until Jocelyn served and the ball went flying right into Conrad's face.

"Oh!"

Conrads back hit the sand and I looked back at Jocelyn. She had that devilish smile on her face again. This time I wanted to punch it off.

"Jocelyn! What would you do that?"

"What? I didn't mean too!"

I roll my eyes and lean down to Conrad. He was blinking and rubbing the bridge of his nose.

"Ow."

"Games over. Let's go inside and get you an ice pack or something."

Conrad nods and he holds onto my arm as I help him up. The warmth of his hand heats up my skin against the blowing wind of the sea. He feels safe. Comfortable. I side eye Jocelyn as we walk past her and Steven, up onto the back porch. I can't believe she'd purposely hurt Conrad. It seemed unlike her.

"Here. Sit."

I slide open the kitchen door and Conrad sits on one of the diner table chairs. It takes a moment but I eventually find a rag under the sink and scoop out I've from the icebox to wrap in it. My mom had taught me how to make an ice pack without wasting any of Susannah's fancy break-to make-cold ones.

"That's Laurels trick."

I stand up from behind the counter. Conrad's hand leaves his face and he has a sleepy smile. He looks adorable.

"You know my mom. Always finding a cheaper and easier way."

I shut the cabinet door and walked around the island, to Conrad. Once I got close to him, his hand reached out to mines, holding the ice pack to his face. He blinks are still slow and he's still smiling.

"Thank you. You're always really nice to me, even if we exclude you from stuff sometimes."

I smiled. Conrad had a soft spot for me. I knew he did. But he always made it a point to appreciate me too. Even if it was for something silly, like making an ice pack for him.

"It's ok. You needed help."

I shrug and sigh. I wanted to play it cool. Conrad always saw through me. He pulls my hand away from his face and pulls her closer to him. He wraps his arms around me, giving me a firm hug.

"You're the best Belly."

Im stunned for a moment. He wasn't the affection type. But then I hugged him back, my nose touching his hair. It smelled sweet, like the conditioner Susannah always bought us kids. But something felt a little off. My heart wasn't racing. I wasn't getting butterflies. It was probably just from the shock of the hug. I forced myself to give him a squeeze before pulling back. I suddenly found myself uncomfortable with his touch. I shoved the ice pack into his hand and smile.

"I'm gonna go use the bathroom."

I didn't wait for him to respond. I ran down the hall and shut the bathroom door behind me. My back hit the door and I sighed. That was weird. I took a minute to breathe before catching Jeremiah's voice outside the bathroom window. I ran to the window, slightly opening it a bit more. Steven, Jeremiah, and Jocelyn were all sitting on the beach blanket, the moms talking to them. Probably about being more careful when playing with flying balls. There was something I once heard about feeling someone staring at you. I guess I stared at her too hard. Jocelyn turned to look back at me through the window. Her eyes were mean and cold.  Completely unfamiliar. I slammed the window shut, hoping on one else saw me staring. I walk back to the bathroom door and open it, leaning to see if Conrad was still in the kitchen. He wasn't. His chair was tucked back under the table and his sandals were by the front door. I was too tired to keep playing anyways. I ran up the stairs, disappearing into my room.