Heartbreaker?

"I'll grab us waters."

Jace ran back inside the club and sighed. We had been practicing for two hours now. The boys had scored five points and we scored six. I'd always been a overachieving athlete when it came to beating the boys.

"For you m'lady."

Jace runs back out with two dripping water bottles in her hand.

"Why thank you madam."

I take the bottle from her, our fingers brushing briefly. I feel it again. The sickness. I seriously must be coming down with something.

"You guys wanna head back? Since the party is tonight and I know Belly takes fifteen hours to get ready."

"Shut up Steven!"

Jace giggles again and my head feels light. I think I might pass out if she keeps doing that.

"Jeremiah has the keys. I'll clean up with Jace and you can go sit in the car."

"Why can't I clean with you?"

I didn't want to. But I also didn't like not being able to say no to him.

"Because Jace has muscles to use. You have none."

I roll my eyes and give him the finger. He laughs and turns around, walking to the tennis ball machine. I wasn't that weak. Jace definitely wasn't that weak. I looked over at them. Jaces arms flexed as they pushed the machine back into its place near the wall. Her slightly veins popped out of her hand and I felt my eyebrow raise. She'd definitely changed from the last time I saw her. Every time I looked at her I noticed something new. I could've sworn I knew her but now...now I'm thinking I'm getting to know a completely different person. I mean, it's expected. I haven't gotten to know her in forever. She'd always been pretty to be but now she was just absolutely stunning.

"Belly!"

Jere waved at me from the car. He'd just pulled up beside me from the country clubs parking lot. My eyes went between Jace and Jere. It was hot outside anyways. I opened up the passenger door and hopped in. Jeremiah kept his eyes on me and a huge grin on his face. For some reason every time he smiled or got close to me this summer I just felt...off. After Jaces comment about us going on a date I couldn't stop thinking about it. I love Jere so much. But I wouldn't date him. Not when Conrad was there. Susannah always told my mom that Conrad was my Prince Charming. Everyone knew how I felt about Conrad. It was a given by now. So the idea that Jeremiah could have a crush on me just made me feel sick. Like I was doing wrong by him. I didn't wanna be the reason his heart got broken. I couldn't be the reason his heart got broken.

"You ok Bells?"

I look up at him. I had been so lost in thought that I hadn't realized that my nails were digging into my thigh. It hadn't even hurt. But now little droplets of blood were forming. Jeremiah's eyes stayed on mine. His smile. That goofy silly smile. I hated that I was gonna be the one to take it away.

"Yea I'm fine. Just thinking."

He laughs. I don't.

"Don't think too hard. Looks like it hurts."

I give him a weak smile and looked away. My eyes settled on the black dashboard that was currently being illuminated by the beating sun.

"So...I've been meaning to talk to you."

My stomach drops and I try and breath. One two three, one two three.

"Ok. What about?"

I keep my voice steady. Casual.

"I know that we've only been at the house for a week but I don't think I can wait any longer."

He looks back out at Jace and Steven. I wish I could melt into the floor right now.

"I have been wanting to say that-"

"Can this wait till later?"

I don't mean to say it. I was ready to turn him down but not here. Not now. I need to find the right words. Jeremiah's mouth snaps shut and he doesn't get a chance to respond.

"Yo! I'm shotgun Belly!"

Steven hits the glass and I roll my eyes. Moment (thankfully) over. I opened the door and stepped out of the car. Steven stuck his tongue out at me. Weirdo. My hand goes out to pull the door handle and it collides with hers. The wave of sickness comes over me again. At this point, I needed to go to a hospital.

"I've got it."

I pull the handle and accidentally side eye Jace. I sit in the backseat, keeping my focus on my peripheral vision. Even a blob of her was beautiful. I felt the overwhelming urge to put in my seat belt. I strapped myself in, far away from Jace. She was making me sick. I didn't understand why but she was.

"We're totally gonna clap you asses in the tournament."

I gave Steven the finger and looked out the window. I watched the green hedges pass by as Steven pulled out of the driveway and onto the street. I glanced at Jace. She was looking directly at me. I looked away and squeezed my eyes shut. This was gonna be a long summer.