𝒾𝒾. 𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑒: the plan and a curse

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : teeth - 5 seconds of summer

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

ii. nine: ❝the plan and a curse❞

✵✵✵

Small Heath, Birmingham

Marianna James strolled through the muddy, crowded streets of the neighborhood, the weight of the items Harry had instructed her to acquire for the tavern heavy in her arms. As she navigated the bustling marketplace, her mind wandered back to the beginning of her journey at the Garrison pub.

It was 1912, a time when she was just eighteen, still brimming with youthful enthusiasm and curiosity. She would often sit by the roadside, sketching the lively scenes of the neighborhood, capturing the essence of its bustling sidewalks. It was during one of these moments of observation that she found herself drawn to the entrance of the Garrison.

After completing her housework, she would gather her charcoal and any scrap of paper she could find, settling near the pub's entryway to begin her drawing. Each stroke of her pencil was infused with a sense of fascination and curiosity about the world around her.

But as she worked on her sketches, a desire began to grow within her - a longing to turn her drawings into something more tangible, something that could be shared with others. She yearned for paints, brushes, and canvases to bring her visions to life, but lacked the means to acquire them.

Then, on a fateful day, as she grappled with feelings of sadness and uncertainty, the Shelby siblings and her own brother appeared before her, holding a banner that read 'Wanted: Barmaid' and pointing towards the pub. In that moment, a spark ignited within her, and she seized the opportunity without hesitation, sprinting towards the Garrison's doors.

Now, almost eight years later, as she made her way through the streets of Small Heath, Marianna found herself pondering her future. In her mid-twenties, she couldn't shake the nagging question of whether she should continue working at the pub or pursue her passion for art. Was it too late to follow her dreams, or was there still time to carve out a new path for herself?

Shaking off the harrowing thoughts that weighed heavily on her mind, Marianna gripped the two bags tightly as she made her way down the dirt road toward the tavern.

With each stride, the sound of her flat shoes echoed against the ground, a rhythmic beat that seemed to match the cadence of her thoughts. Her skirt flowed around her with each step, a fluttering reminder of the world in motion around her.

As she approached the main road leading to the garrison, Marianna noticed Thomas mounting a white horse, engaged in conversation with Grace, the Irish barmaid. The clatter of her footsteps drew their attention, causing them to pause in their discussion as she continued her trek towards the pub.