𝓋. 𝓉𝓌𝑒𝓃𝓉𝓎-𝓈𝑒𝓋𝑒𝓃: another trigger (ed.)

ᴺᴼᵂ ᴾᴸᴬᵞᴵᴺᴳ : female robbery - the neighbourhood

⇄ ◃◃ ⅠⅠ ▹▹ ↻

v. twenty-seven: another trigger

✵✵✵

Small heath, Birmingham

A not-so-secret conference between a renowned but cunning policeman and a notorious ruthless gang leader is taking place somewhere in the bustling marketplace of Birmingham City.

The IRA member who paid Thomas Shelby a visit at the tavern earlier in the day tempted him with the start of a new war, and therefore, Thomas Shelby has taken the step to put a halt to it before it even started. Like most people are aware, Thomas likes intellectual challenges and enjoys becoming enraged equally.

Campbell is ecstatic with the present the Shelby man gave him: a sizable catch that would help him win over the higher-ups. The discussion was already going smoothly. And it's convenient for Thomas to inform the Irish people, who have a grudge against his business, that the Peaky Blinders are unrelated to their troubles.

The Shelby man's thoughts flashed back to the concern as the two indulged in a pleasant conversation. Thomas had two significant questions for the man who had fouled not merely one but two of the terms he had offered the leader.

As he was retreating, Thomas called for Campbell's attention and stopped him in his tracks, stating, "Inspector, since we're getting along so well...can you answer me a question or two?"

The inspector avoided Thomas' gaze as he listened to his queries and instead concentrated on the frantic chitchat going on all around them.

Tommy continued, "Do you know who might've plotted the ambush on one of my subordinates?"

In response, Campbell asked, attempting to seem ignorant, "One of your subordinates?"

Thomas' gruff voice continued, concealing his irritation with the false composure he attempted to portray via his expression and speech. "In these filthy alleyways of Small Health, news spreads like wildfire. You know what I'm talking about."

A faint grin tugged at Campbell's lips as he threw Thomas a sidelong glance upon seeing the damage the assault had done to the man. If Thomas Shelby is not outraged by it, he won't bring the issue up with the adversary.

Yet, what the Inspector didn't understand is that the query stood as a caution that the man was cognizant of what the police did and would not remain passive as a reaction.