ten | new beginnings

☆

IT FELT STRANGE TO BE BACK AT the Sanctum with everything finally over. The Scarlet Witch had been defeated, the Darkhold had been destroyed in every universe, and America was safe. Yet, staring at the doors to the building, Talia still found herself questioning if staying here was the right decision.

"You can stay here for however long you need," said Stephen, trying to lighten the invitation as if he already knew where Talia's mind was at. "There's no pressure."

But it was America that hesitated to step inside the building as the doors opened. Sensing the teenager's mood shifting, Talia paused mid-step, turning to look back at her.

"I don't know if I should be here," America admitted.

"What do you mean?" Talia asked.

"You are home," America reminded Talia. "You don't need me anymore."

"America, I will always need you," Talia reassured her, hand reaching outwards as America held onto it, but Talia could see that uncertainty swirling in the teenager's irises. It broke her heart as Talia never wanted this for her. "My home is where you are. If you don't want to stay here, then we can go."

"I do," America was quick to reply. "It's just...I don't want you to leave me."

"I couldn't ever leave you, Sweetheart," Talia promised, squeezing her hand in the hope that she knew. "It's you and I against the world, remember?"

America nodded at that, where Talia caught the hint of a smile, but there was something still troubling the girl. Of course, America had spent half of her life simply surviving the Multiverse with just Talia, and now everything was about to change. Talia knew what America was feeling, so they really did need to stay for America's life to stabilise until Talia could get her back to her parents.

"I feel so guilty for feeling this," said America, eyes falling downwards. "I love my mom's, but you..." America looked up, meeting Talia's gaze. "You are my mom too."

Talia stepped closer to the teenager, letting go of her hand as her fingers rose, fixing America's bangs again. "You don't have to feel guilty, Sweetheart," Talia reassured her, feeling those words causing her heart to warm. "I lost my husband to find a daughter, so I don't regret a single second of it, and I would do it all again if it meant having you in my life. Someone as special as you, America, deserves to have three mom's."

"Even though I miss my mom's," America told her. "I'm so happy that this power gave me you."

Talia smiled at that, pulling America into her arms. Together, they had been through so much, but they had done it.

"We can stay," America decided. "I do like your husband."

"That's good as I like him too," Talia replied.