bonus | a new normal

☆

TALIA STRANGE COULD NOT GET used to Stephen's third eye. It creeped her out, reminding Talia of the dark, sinister Strange. But fortunately, the eye came and went at Stephen's choice. Maybe in time, Talia would get used to it, but that was the key: time.

While Stephen had freaked Talia out, she had her own taste of revenge. Like now, Talia had glitched towards the library of the New York Sanctum, causing Stephen to startle from where he sat in an armchair at her abrupt arrival.

Talia laughed at him, earning a frown in response. "You were the one that told me I should be practising."

"I'm surprised you are even listening to me," Stephen replied.

Now, Talia earned a smile as she moved towards where her husband sat. Talia's arms moved over his shoulders, resting against his chest as she pressed a kiss to his cheek, triggering a smile from her husband. As she peered over his shoulder, Talia spotted the book he was reading, causing her to frown.

"You are still reading about the Multiverse?" Talia questioned.

"I was hoping that a reread might spark something," said Stephen, closing the mystical book as if it had let him down. Talia wanted to question why someone with a photographic memory was reading a book for a second time, but she stayed quiet. "With everything that's happened, something should make sense."

"Maybe it's not supposed to make sense," Talia said, meeting his gaze as Stephen's head had turned to look at her. "You don't have to figure out my powers straight away."

"Oh, but I do," Stephen told her. "You, Darling, are the biggest mystery of Kamar-Taj right now."

Talia fell silent, eyes narrowing as she could see the fear glistening in his irises.

"You are worried," Talia noticed, moving around the chair to stand closer to him. "Stephen, I won't disappear on you again."

"You glitched and had no control," Stephen reminded her. "I know you do now, but... I can't take any risk of losing you again. I need to understand your power so I can help you, but also to prepare myself for those who may want to exploit you."

"Like Wanda with America?" Talia realised.

"If Wanda had known the full potential of your power, then maybe she would have changed targets," said Stephen. "If word spreads about you — not even just here, but in the Multiverse, then who is to say what danger you could be in?"

Again, Talia was silent, having not thought about it too much before. One day, Talia would have the power to jump across the Universe as America could, but there was still so much uncertainty about what she could do. Not just that, but if Talia made one mistake, then she could end up lost within the Multiverse again...away from Stephen and America.