2. "First impression."

Tom's pov.

At recess I watched Maddie, she sat at the window and read. I decided to approach her.

– what are you reading?

– a?

She was frightened.

– you scared me! — Maddie was indignant and gently pushed me on the shoulder.

–I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. So what are you reading?

– epics about Russian heroes, — she said with a smile from ear to ear.

– do you read Russian?

– yes, why not? I love to read, especially fairy tales and the like.

– but the epic is not a fairy tale, — I said out of my mind.

– The tale is characterized by the absence of pretensions to the historicity of the narration, the undisguised fictitiousness of the plot, —Maddie said.

– and..?

–and Russian epics about heroes narrate their exploits. These are... folk tales. But honestly, I do not believe that the Gorynych Serpent and everything else existed. Although epics are a completely different genre of narration, but I attribute them to fairy tales, to a fictional plot. Understand?

– not really... I'm not interested in Russian art.

– Then why did you ask? — she asked without understanding.

–I just decided to ask.

Suddenly Maddie closed the book abruptly.

–Tell me honestly, why are you interested in me? Do you want to start messing around somehow?

– I didn't mean to. I'm interested because I want to know you.

– that is ... you are not with them? — she asked, pointing to a group of our classmates.

– I didn't like them right away. I'm interested in making friends with you.

– truth? — Her eyes just sparkled with happiness.

– yes... You don't have any friends?

– since I started studying here.

I even felt a bit sad. But the bell rang and we went on to the lessons.

The last lesson was physical education. I was with the boys in the locker room and changed clothes.

– Listen, Tom! — One of the guys turned to me. — what do you like this Sheyward? Look how many cool girls we have, and you started a dialogue with her.

– what do you not like about it? — I asked.

– she is a gray mouse, she is not like us. We don't let them in. You're rich, and she's...

– she's a person. She has the right to be whatever she wants. And she did not choose her status.

– Well, look, Tom. We warned you.

Pov Maddy.

We went outside. When the bell rang, Kirby's coach gave the order to run two laps around the huge stadium, followed by a general warm-up. When we started running, Tom ran up to me.

– What do you do after school? —Tom suddenly asked.

– well... usually I go home.

– Will you go for a walk in the park?

– with whom?

– With me, — he said confidently.

– yes, it will be cool.