8. "The rescue."

It's been almost two months already. We did not hear anything about Marie and just lived an ordinary life. Arthur was not given to Marie in the divorce. Nothing has changed in the school. And Tom and I... We still don't understand what's going on between us.

At school. I stood at the locker and read.

– Hi, — Tom greeted me with a smile.

– Hey.

– What are we reading now?

– I decided to remember my mother's detectives. So far, I started with the dilogy "Find a Report".

– cool.

Tom started dusting off his umbrella.

– Yes, the weather is not very good today. Mid-December, and still no snow...

– huh, snow? — Tom was surprised.

– although I confess, I don’t remember the last time I saw snow ... It seems that it was in Russia. About ten years ago.

We laughed.

– let's go? — Tom asked.

– yes, let's go.

We came to math. The office was half empty.

– where is everyone? — I asked.

– sick, — Sarah answered my question coldly.

– "Do they know how to get sick?" — I thought and sat down at the desk.

The bell rang and the teacher entered the classroom.

– Good morning class.

A rather elderly teacher entered the class.

– Good morning, Professor Vancouver.

– how few you are today ...

- maybe then we will not write a control? —shouted Jack.

– Nobody canceled the control. You don't have to turn it in after class. We have a lot of empty seats today, so please sit one at a time.

Tom sat down on a free desk in front of ours.

– wonderful, — the professor began to please the sheets. – remember, this test is like preparing for the upcoming exams.

– that's the only reason we get grades...

– that's right, Miss Vial. You must show what you have achieved during these years of hard study. You can start. And while I'm filling out the journal.

Everyone started writing. Tom and I were diligently scribbling something in a piece of paper with a pencil, and the rest ... They were flying in the clouds.

Three, two, one... Call!

– and so, finished! — came the teacher's voice. — Now, when you leave the class, put the sheets on that table. Have a nice day everyone. The lesson is over.

– Goodbye Professor Vancouver.

We left the class.

– And how do you like the control? — Tom asked.

– too easy to prepare for exams. It seems to me that even Arthur will decide this.

Tom laughed.

– No, I'm serious!

Sarah ran past us. Is she... crying?

– did you see this? Something is wrong.

I ran after Sarah.

– Maddie, stop!

– me now.

I ran out of the ecriation towards the stairs. The sound came from the upper floors.

– "Damn, the roof!"

I ran after Sarah as fast as I could. I run out into the rain on the roof. Sarah is already looking down.

– No, Sarah, stop! — I screamed.

– leave!

– no...

I came closer.

— do not come!

– that's it, calm down. So I moved away... Sarah... If you now tell me the real reason for your actions, then I will leave behind.

– exactly?

– I give my word to Sheyward ...

– I will not be given a certificate ... My parents threaten to kick me out of the house if I do not graduate with good grades!

I laughed.

– Why are you laughing?! Leave!

– that's not the reason, Sarah... For grades to change, you need to work on them, and not score on them... Do you have dear people? Mother, father? Brothers, sisters?.. Jack? I heard he's been learning how to ask you to the prom dance for three years...

– Really?

– Yes! I'll help you... Give me your hand...

She wanted to take a step towards me, but she slipped and fell. I quickly ran up, and Sarah froze in the air.

– "God, how hard!"

Somehow I picked her up.

– Phew... Sarah, how are you?

– I…almost killed myself…? God...

– everything is fine now...

An umbrella appeared above us.

– you know ... Sabina would only support my decision.

– real friends will not allow this ... Listen, it's not very good to sit in the rain. Went back?

– yes, let's go.

We walked out onto the landing completely dry.

– like this..? — Sarah was surprised.

– magic. Come on, you need to calm down.

We went down to our floor.

– Maddie, I was worried, — Tom ran up,  alarmed. — everything is fine?

– Yes, already, — I said, hugging Sarah.

– so, tomorrow we definitely have to wait for snow. What has already happened?

– I'll tell you later.

I kissed Tom and took Sarah to class.

After school, Tom walked me to the car.

– Sarah wanted to commit suicide because of her grades... I don't want to judge, but this is stupid.

– they all do not have all the houses ... They need to grow up.

We came to the car.

– thanks for doing it.

–  you're welcome.

I kissed Tom and got into the car.