[10]

Sara sat at the lunch table earlier than everybody else. Steve strolled in with a smug smile on his face, and he took a seat before her. "Hey, Hopper. You party ready?"

She only shrugged, and he noticed quickly something was off about her, "Hey what's wrong?"

"I don't have a costume."

He could hear the sadness in her voice making him bite his lip in deep thought. His girlfriend and Jonathan, who were in deep conversation, began to walk over to the table. "Hey Nance, you think you got a costume for Sara?"

Nancy look flustered by the sudden question. Hell, she looked flustered at the whole world. "Uh, yea. Actually. I have something in mind."

—05—

"Nancy, my ass isn't gonna fit in this thing!" Sara groaned in the bathroom, trying to put on the skin-tight black leather pants.

Sara saw this movie once while with Eleven over the summer. She absolutely loved it, but she wasn't sure she loved it enough to wear this non-breathable outfit.

When she finally got the clothes on, she looked in the mirror. Her hair was curly, huge even. It stood out and Sara touched it happily. Her hair was normally quite straight with waves that she did herself in the morning, which made her stand out from everyone's perms.

She stepped down the stairs of the Wheeler house. Making eye contact with Steve, she held onto the railing. Not used to heels yet, she stumbled a little and Steve caught her.

"Chill out, Hopper," He whispered in her ear. "You're not sheet faced yet."

She laughed, clearly embarrassed by her damsel in distress moment, and he pulled away from her. "You do look good though. Can you sing for me?"

She tapped her foot and shook her head, "Only for Danny Zuko."

He slicked his hair back with his hand, "Hey I've been told I kinda look like him."

They were interrupted by Nancy coming down the stairs. "Well look at you!" The brunette said looking her up and down. "I knew you'd be the perfect Sandy."

Sara's bright red lips curved into a smile.

She sat in the back of the vehicle feeling like a third wheel a little harder than normal.

This night was going to be a rough one.

—05—

Sara watched nervously as a few kids brought the new "Keg King," Billy inside. They chanted his name and the group walked up to Steve, Nancy was right next to him and Sara leaned against the wall sipping on the drink she had in her hand. She couldn't say she was the biggest fan in the world, so she decided to stay tipsy for the night. Steve also advised her not to drink so much because she had never had alcohol in her life.

"We got ourselves a new Keg King, Harrington." Tommy said to him in an arrogant tone.

"Got your head far enough up his ass Tommy?" Sara said. If she was being honest, the tipsiness  gave her a confidence boost, but she knew what she was saying.

"Oh, Eat it, Hopper. Hope your daddy doesn't come and crash the party for us."

Steve took of his glasses and looked them in the eye. Nancy was clearly not impressed and began to walk off to find more alcohol. Sara was focused in on Nancy, trying to figure out what was wrong with her until she heard a cough from in front of her trying to get her attention.

"What's your name, doll?" He asked looking her slowly up and down. His hand placed right above her head against the wall, with his other hand he pulled the cigarette out of his mouth and blew the smoke almost in her face.