[21]

Robin, Dustin, Steve, and Sara all stayed after closing time to work on the code. Both of the girls put their brains together to figure out a code they weren't even sure made sense.

"The week is long, the silver cat feeds, when blue meets yellow in the west." They all said in unison, confusion in their voices.

"I mean, it just—" Steve closed the gate to Scoops Ahoy. "it just can't be right."

"It's right, Steve." Sara said. "It has to be code for something we don't understand."

"Honestly I think it's great news." Dustin said shrugging.

Steve looked at him in awe, "How is this great news? I mean, so much for being American heroes. It's total nonsense."

"It's not nonsense. It's too specific." Dustin explained. "Like Sara said.. code. Like a super secret spy code."

"That's a total stretch."

"You doubting me, Harrington?" Sara asked with her eyebrow raised. He threw his hands up nervously.

"No-no! I'd never doubt you." Steve stammered. "I guess, I can't imagine you buying into this."

"Really, Steve?" Sara asked, as if she didn't grow up in a lab that was in connected to secret  controversy every direction you looked at.

"Hey just for kicks, let's entertain the possibility that it is a secret Russian transmission. What'd you think they were gonna say, 'Fire the warhead at noon'?" Robin said and everyone agreed. "And our translation is correct. I know that for sure, so... "this silver cat feeds." Why would anyone talk like that unless they're trying to mask the true meaning of their message?"

"Exactly." Dustin and Sara agreed. She felt Steve's arm snake around her back protectively which made her confused, but she just assumed he was fearful.

"Why would anyone mask the true meaning of their message unless the message was somehow sensitive?" Robin asked him to which he shrugged. "So I guess that confirms your suspicion."

"Evil Russians." Dustin said in a mischievous way.

"I can't believe I'm about to agree with this strange child, but, yeah, totally evil Russians." Robin concluded.

"So how do we crack it?" Dustin asked.

Sara shrugged and looked down at her nails, "All we can do is translate the rest and hopefully a pattern emerges but who knows, you were trying to reach Suzie in Utah. They could anywhere."

"Well, maybe "silver cat" is a meeting place?" Dustin suggested.

"Or a person." Robin added.

"Or a weapon." Sara concluded, wondering if Russia had a lab of kids like Hawkins did.

"It's probably gonna take Sara the super genius to crack it but.." Robin started to say and she almost began to blush at her compliment, even though she didn't see herself as very smart. "Where's Steve?"

Sara whipped around, not even feeling his body leave her side and saw him at one of the machine pony rides. "Hey, Steve, what are you doing?" She ran up to him, as he was taking coins out of his pocket.

"Do you have a quarter?" He whispered over to her and she reached in her back left pocket, which is we're she usually kept her money and pulled a few coins out, assorting them until handing a quarter over to Steve. "Thanks, babe."

"Sure you're tall enough for that ride?" Robin asked, which made Sara laugh. It didn't even hit her what she was giving him the quarter for until just now. She was just giving him the money cause he asked for it.