[13]

Max walked over to Steve and Sara. She sat next to the blonde, closer than she intended to but Sara thought she was just scared. It reminded her of Eleven in a way, and she began to rub her back gently the way she did her sister. Max found it comforting and wished she had an older sister instead of Billy.

"So you guys have really fought one of these things before?" Max asked making Steve stop flicking his lighter and they nodded slowly. "And you're, like, totally 100% sure it wasn't a bear?"

"Shit. Don't be an idiot, okay? It wasn't a bear. You believe that she has superpowers but won't believe in a interdimensional creature? Just go home." Dustin said making Sara roll her eyes. She looked over at Steve and gave him a frustrated look. He knew very well that was his fault.

"Geesh. Someone's cranky. Past your bedtime?" Max started to get up and go up the ladder.

"Aw come on Max don't leave." She tried to convince the girl to stay but she continued to climb before being at the very top. "Nice going, asshat." Sara snapped at Dustin. She got up to talk to Max and Lucas grabbed the ladder at the same time she did.

They looked at each other quickly and Steve put his hand up stopping Lucas. "Hey girl talk first bud."

Sara laughed and began to climb up the ladder before positioning herself in front of Max. "Hi." She said happily before crossing her legs and putting her hands in her lap.

"Hey." Max said dully. "Why does everyone in this group hate me? Even Lucas gets mad at me me and I don't understand why."

"Well you see puberty is a lot slower for boys so they're probably just hormonal—" She started making Max laugh. "No but seriously, I think it's hard for them to remember a life where this wasn't around. I mean it's not just every day you fight off interdiminsional slugs, but for us.. feels like a weekly occurrence."

Max raised her eyebrows curiously, "Do you really have powers?" Sara could tell she had been holding in that question in all night and Sara nodded. "Can you show me?"

Sara focused on Max's jacket before connecting the two zippers, pulling her jacket up all the way to her neck. She then whipped around Max's hair in a million different directions and she laughed like a little girl shaking her head from all the chaos.

Max swiped her hair down, still finding it completely amusing. Sara let her hair down and it covered Max's face.

They both let out a laugh and Sara moved it out of her face for her. "You're really cool, Sara. I wish the rest of the party was like you."

"Oh they'll never be me." She said in a joking arrogant tone. "But they'll grow on you. You're brave, Max."

"I see why you're Lucas' favorite." Max said smiling. Both heard a knock from below Sara.

She looked down and back up at the red head, "Speak of the devil. Someone's eager to talk to you." Sara opened the door and let Lucas up before giving him a wink and climbing back down.

She jumped off the ladder and Steve looked up at her, "Sounds like you two found something funny."

"Yeah, we were just talking about your.." She cupped her hands whispering the last part. "Farrah Fawcett spray."

He widened his eyes and began to stand up and she put her hand on his shoulder, pushing Steve all the way back down on the ground. "Calm down pretty boy, only joking."

She slapped Dustin in the chest with the back of her hand, "What the hell are you doing? I hate all this 'I don't care' bullshit."

"I don't care." Dustin said making her roll her eyes. "You don't understand, Sara."